Click here for a key to the symbols used. An explanation of acronyms may be found at the bottom of the page.
From Route 101 near Crescent City to the Oregon state line via the Smith River.
This route remains unchanged from its 1963 definition.
This route was part of the original set of planned routes in 1926, as was signed as US 199 in 1928 (although one report gives 1932). It is part of LRN 1, defined in 1919.
According to Tom Fearer, the history of what became US 199 begins in the
1854 when the City of Crescent City incorporated. The incorporation
of Crescent City drove the need for a Stage Route to be built inland to
Oregon. In June of 1854 the Crescent City & Yreka Plank Turnpike
Company (CCYPTC) formed with the goal of building a wagon road through the
Klamath Mountains to Oregon via Oregon Mountain. To that the CCYPTC
surveyed a route to Oregon by October of 1854 but no work began as a
recession hit during 1855. The CCYPTC began construction of a
planked wagon road in 1857 and completed it during May of 1858. Upon
reaching Oregon Mountain the CCYPTC wagon road turned east straddling the
State Line via Wilmer Road before turning north towards via what is now
Lone Mountain Road. The CCYPTC wagon road followed modern US 199
through O'Brien, Waldo, Kerby, and Wilderville. From Wilderville the
CCYPTC route turned east via what is now Fish Hatchery Road, the Applegate
River, and OR 238 towards the mining City of Jacksonville. In 1881 the
Gasquet Toll Road began to be constructed to Oregon Mountain where it
crossed the Oregon State Line and met the existing CCYPTC plank
road. The Gasquet Toll Road was a log surface design and would be
completed by 1887. The Gasquet Toll Road was connected from Gasquet
to Crescent City via the Smith River, Mill Creek, and Howland
Summit. The general path of the Gasquet Toll Road included a new
suspension bridge at the confluence of the Smith River and South Fork
Smith River. The future route of US 199 was added to the Oregon State
Route System during 1917 when it was added as Oregon Highway 25 between
Grants Pass southwest to the California State Line. As noted above,
the future route of US 199 in California was added to the State Highway
System during the 1919 Third State Highway Bond Act, when what was to be
LRN 1 was extended to the Oregon State line. The route was aligned over
the Gasquet Toll Road, added as part of a 1919 Legislative Amendment.
(Source: Gribblenation Blog (Tom Fearer): "US Route 199")
In 1925, as part of the Smith River Forest Project, LRN 1 was realigned
onto the new Redwood Highway. This highway was cited to be an
average of 22 feet wide and is stated to be a direct replacement for the
Gasquet Toll Road, and was schedule to open in the summer of 1926. By
1935, the alignment of US 199 departed US 101 in Crescent City via Parkway
Drive. By 1956, US 101 had been moved off of Northcrest Drive in Crescent
City and onto Parkway Drive. US 199's western terminus was moved a
couple miles eastward on Parkway Drive near what is now Cookie Street.
Former US 101 on Northcrest Drive would later become Del Norte County Sign Route D2 by
1966. The groundbreaking ceremony for what was called the "Hazelview
Tunnel" is discussed in the September/October 1960 CHPW guide. In the
November/December 1963 CHPW article the now named "Randolph Collier
Tunnel" on US 199 through Oregon Mountain is stated to have opened on July
(Source: Gribblenation Blog (Tom Fearer): "US Route 199")
A planned expressway (or freeway) alignment for US 199 appears in Compass's Redwood Coast map; this would begin 2 miles north of the current US 101/US 199 interchange, approximately at the intersection of US 101 and Arrowhead Drive, and continue on a meandering path east towards Route 197 at Low Divide Road. (It is unclear what will happen to the southernmost segment of Route 197 between the proposed routing and Route 199 should Route 199 be assigned to this new alignment.) This plan appears to be designed to avoid the Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park altogether (current US 199 cuts through the park).
In January 2016, the CTC authorized SHOPP funding in Del Norte County, on Route 101 at Railroad Avenue Overcrossing No. 01-0063, Smith River Overflow Bridge No. 01-0046, Rowdy Creek Bridge No. 01-0023; also on Route 199, at Route 199/101 Connector Overcrossing No. 01-0058F (DN 0.000). Outcome/Output: Install seismic retrofit measures on four bridges to maintain bridge structural integrity. $1,650,000.
In June 2016, the CTC approved for future consideration of funding a project in Del Norte County near the Smith River (01-DN-199, PM 8.0/8.5) that will realign curves, widen lanes and shoulders, construct a viaduct and bridge, and make other improvements on US 199 near Crescent City. The project is programmed in the 2014 State Highway Operation and Protection Program. The total programmed amount is $7,763,000 for capital and support. Construction is estimated to begin in Fiscal Year 2016-17. The scope, as described for the preferred alternative, is consistent with the project scope programmed by the Commission in the 2014 State Highway Operation and Protection Program. A copy of the ND has been provided to Commission staff. The project will result in less than significant impacts to the environment.
In June 2016, the CTC approved $3,268,000 for a project on US 199 near Hiouchi, at 1.0 mile north of South Fork Road (~ DN 8.19). Outcome/Output: Widen roadway and shoulders to make standard. Install rumble strips and high friction surface treatment and other curve improvements to reduce the number and severity of collisions. Concurrent Consideration of Funding under Resolution E-16-33; June 2016
In December 2018, it was reported that the CTC allocated $600,000 of
support costs for the advancement of a project on US 199 in Del Norte
County from 0.7 to 0.3 miles south of the Hardscrabble Creek Bridge
(Bridge 01-0040, DN 011.01). The proposed project includes the
installation of a High Friction Surface Treatment, signs, guardrail, and a
centerline rumble strip. The CTC Minutes show the following allocation for
this: 01-DN-199 PM 10.2/10.7 PPNO 1121. Project No. 0116000128. Route 199
Near Gasquet, from 0.7 to 0.3 mile south of Hardscrabble Creek Bridge.
Install High Friction Surface Treatment (HFST), signs, guardrail, and
centerline rumble strip.
(Source: Redheaded Blackbelt, 12/10/2018; December2018 CTC Minutes, Agenda Item 2.5b(2a) Item 1)
Truck Passing Project - DN 20.5 to DN 25.65
In December 2012, the CTC reviewed a draft EIR related to improvements on Route 197 and US 199 and had no comments. The project will improve spot locations on Route 197 and US 199 in Del Norte County so that two Surface Transportation Assistance Act (STAA) trucks passing in opposite directions can be accommodated. Within the project limits, Route 197 and US 199 are rugged, two-lane conventional highways with tight curves and steep-cut slopes providing narrow traffic lanes with narrow shoulders (if shoulders exist). Route 197 is the designated route for the movement of extralegal truck loads between US 101 and US 199 because it avoids traversing Jedediah Smith Redwoods Park. Known as North Bank Road, Route 197 was built in the 1930s. US 199 in the project limits traverses the Middle Fork Smith River and was built in the early 1920s and is a tightly curved alignment with spectacular views. The proposed work consists of roadway widening, shoulder widening, roadway curve improvements, bridge replacements and culvert replacements. The project will bring Route 197 and US 199 into compliance with federal and state legislations regarding access for STAA trucks. It is split into four projects: Ruby 1 (EA 48110, Route 197 PM 4.5) is fully funded in the SHOPP Minor A Program. It would lengthen the curve and increase shoulder width. Culverts and drainage would be adjusted. The total estimated cost is $2,499,000. Construction is estimated to begin in Fiscal Year 2013-14. Ruby 2 (EA 45490, Route 197, PM 3.2 to 4.0) is fully funded in the SHOPP Minor A Program. This would improve the existing road curve, roadbed elevation, and roadway width. Different alternatives have slightly different roadway and shoulder widths. The total estimated cost is $3,400,000. Construction is estimated to begin in Fiscal Year 2014-15. Patrick Creek Narrows (PPNO 1047) will improve US 199 from Post Mile 20.5 to 20.7, Post Mile 23.9 to 24.3, and Post Mile 25.55 to 25.65. Most of these involve improving curves and slight roadway widening. It would also replace the existing Middle Fork Smith River bridge with either an upstream or downstream alternative, or rework the existing bridge to allow large trucks to cross. The project is programmed in the 2012 STIP. The total estimated cost for capital and support is $21,302,000. Construction is estimated to begin in Fiscal Year 2012-13. The Narrows and Washington Curve (PPNO 1073) will improve US 199 from Post Mile 22.7 to 23.0 (Narrows), and from PM 26.3 to 26.5 (Washington Curve). These involve lane widening and curve improvement. The project is programmed in the 2012 SHOPP. The total estimated cost for capital and support is $6,750,000. Construction is estimated to begin in Fiscal Year 2015-16. For these four projects, there are a total 12 build alternatives being proposed as well as the no build alternative
In June 2013, the CTC accepted the environmental document for Ruby 1, Ruby 2, Patrick Creek Narrows, and Narrows and Washington Curve.
In September 2020, it was reported that the Crescent
City Harbor District added support to the Del Norte Local Transportation
Commission for a project to bring Route 199 and Route 197 up to 1982
trucking standards. Harbor commissioners unanimously approved a resolution
reaffirming their support for the project, which has been stalled when
Friends of Del Norte, the Environmental Protection Information Center and
the Center For Biological Diversity obtained an injunction in 2014. The
Harbor District’s vote comes about two weeks after a federal judge
in the case awarded intervenor status to the Del Norte Local
Transportation Commission. According to a staff report, the Local
Transportation Commission argued that it is local elected officials, not
the litigants, who represent the public. The Del Norte Unified School
District Board of Trustees has also unanimously declared their support for
the STAA 197/199 project, stating that widening the road is also essential
for school buses. The $34 million project includes widening three curves
on US 199 and replacing a bridge that was built in 1924. It also consists
of widening two curves on Route 197 near Ruby Van Deventer County Park.
Caltrans’ goal is to make the project safer for trucks meeting the
1982 Surface Transportation Assistance Act (STAA) standard. The project
has been paid for with state and federal dollars since 2008 and was about
to enter the construction phase when Friends of Del Norte, EPIC and Center
For Biological Diversity initiated a lawsuit that stalled the project in
2014. The three conservation groups argued that allowing for the larger
STAA trucks would increase, rather than decrease the risk to safety on the
two roads. The three groups are also concerned about the possibility of a
hazardous material spill impacting the Smith River. However, restricting
the travel of trucks carrying hazardous materials down US 199 and Route 197 could circumvent that argument.
(Source: Wild Rivers Outpost, 9/1/2020)
The SAFETEA-LU act, enacted in August 2005 as the reauthorization of TEA-21, provided the following expenditures on or near this route:
This route is named the "Redwood Highway".
(Image source: AARoads)
This route was part of the "Winnemucca to the Sea Highway". This route was developed to
establish a continuous, improved all-weather highway from US-40 (I-80) at
Winnemucca, Nevada through Medford, Oregon and on to the Pacific coast at
Crescent City, California. The Winnemucca to the Sea Highway Association
proposed this as US 140, but the number was never assigned. Instead,
it is represented by a combination of route numbers: US 95, Nevada
140 (originally Nevada 8A), Oregon 140, US 395, Oregon 62, I-5, US 199,
and US 101. Winnemucca, named after a local Paiute chief, began as a
bridge over the Humboldt River for emigrants taking the Applegate-Lassen
trail into northern California and Oregon, and was a major point on the
transcontinental railroad and is a stop over on the ocean-to-ocean highway
(Source: article by John Ryczkowski; Image source: Looking for Detachment)
The Hardscrabble Bridge, located on Route 199 six miles east of Hiouchi Village (Bridge 01-0040, DN
011.01) in Del Norte County, is officially named the "Viggo "Vic"
Meedom Memorial Bridge". Viggo "Vic" Meedom was born in Denmark, and
died in October of 1995 at the age of 101. He served Del Norte County as a
member of the Crescent City Council, a member of the Del Norte County
Board of Supervisors, and an original member of the Del Norte County Local
Hospital District Board of Directors. Named by Senate Concurrent
Resolution No. 55, Chapter 22, in 1996. The plaque reads: "A native of
Denmark, "Vic" immigrated to the U.S. in 1913 and arrived in California in
1915. He was a WWII veteran and became a U.S. citizen in 1922. "Vic" came
to Del Norte County in 1935. He was active in state and local government
as a citizen and public servant. From 1943 to 1952 he served on the Knapp
and Seaside Hospital District Boards. He was a Crescent City Councilman
from 1946 to 1948 and served as a Del Norte County Supervisor from 1949 to
1953. "Vic" was appointed by Governor Warren in 1947 to the first
California Advisory Health Care Council and served until 1974." Meedom
died on 20 Oct 1995 at the age of 101.
(Image source; Bridgehunter; Find a Grave)
Bridge 01-0009 (DN R011.95) over the Smith River, 12 mi E of Crescent City in Del Norte
county, is named the "Mary Adams Peacock Memorial Bridge". It was
built in 1926 and rebuilt in 1985, and was named in 1932. Del Norte County
pioneer school teacher, Mary Adams Peacock (1861-1946), established
"Adams' Station" in 1898 and married stage drive Peter Peacock in 1908.
Two native plants, Anemone Adamsiana and Valeriana Adamsiana, are named
for "Aunt Mary Adams". Mary Adams was born at Waldo, Ore., in 1861.
When she grew up, she moved to Grants Pass to start a dressmaking business
while working as a housekeeper to make ends meet. Six years later, Adams
changed direction and decided to run a string of pack mules and contract
to carry mail from Crescent City to Grants Pass. She became an exceptional
muleskinner and kept the job for more than a decade, while also
documenting botanical species along the route. In 1890, Adams homesteaded
22-acres in Gasquet, Calif., where she built a stage stop and hotel,
calling it Adams Station. Her reputation for quality roast beef and
chicken dinners followed by delicious fruit pies earned the establishment
national recognition with a “Duncan Hines Seal of Approval.”
Her obituary notes: "“Aunt Mary,” as she was affectionately
known to hundreds, for many years operated Adams Station, one of the
historic stage stations in the West, located about one mile west of
Gasquet. She was of a large pioneer family, living at Waldo in the early
day. For a time, she made her home with Mrs. Walter Simmons in Grants
Pass, mother of the late Mrs. George Riddle. Mary Adams was in charge of
the hotel at Gasquet during the late 90's after the death of Mrs. Gasquet,
established Adams Station nearby. Later, she married Peter Peacock, who
preceded her in death. She was a handsome woman, even in her later years,
and was known for the excellence of her table and open hearted
hospitality. It is said that for many years, she was the only nurse
between Waldo and Crescent City no trip was too hard or too long for her
to make to aid the sick. A few years ago, the bridge over Smith River near
her home was dedicated to her and a plaque is on the bridge today in her
memory. It is said that it is the only bridge on the highway dedicated to
(Image source: Outside the Interzone; AARoads; Find a Grave; Additional info: Jefferson Public Radio)
Bridge 01-0019 (DN 019.99), the "Drinking Fountain Bridge", over the Middle Fork of the Smith River (19.9
mi NE of Route 101) in Del Norte county is named the "Howard Griffin
Memorial Bridge". Howard Francis Griffin was born in Glasco Kansas
in 1894, and commenced his long and illustrious journalistic career at an
early age working for the Glasco Sun a weekly newspaper during weekends
and after school hours. After moving to Payette Idaho in 1911, he worked
for another weekly newspaper — the Payette Independent. Mr Griffin
served with the United States Navy during World War I. After World War I,
Mr. Griffin resumed his journalistic career and in 1925, just prior to his
moving to Crescent City, he published Glendale Oregon News. Mr Griffin
came to Crescent City in 1926, and founded the Crescent City American,
with which he remained associated for the rest of his life. The wisdom in
his editorials This Is What I Think and the humor in his column
The Super Snooper are still the subject of many conversations.
Thoroughly and throughout a rugged individualist, Mr Griffin was also a
leader and active in community affairs. He was a charter member of the
Crescent City Kiwanis Club, a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, the
Elks Club, the Crescent City Fire Department, and the Del Norte Historical
Society. Mr Griffin also took a great interest in 4 H Club activities in
Del Norte County, and for many years he presented a plaque to the
outstanding girl in 4 H Club work each year. Mr Griffin with his
characteristic wisdom and foresight played a large role in obtaining
improved highway facilities essential to the development of the Redwood
Empire. This included the Drinking Fountain Bridge on US 199, which
alleviated critical transportation problems and constituted an important
link in the transportation system of Northern California. Howard Francis
Griffin passed away on February 25 1959. The bridge was built in 1962, and
was named by Senate Concurrent Resolution 13, Chapter 44, in 1963.
(Image source: AARoads)
Bridge 01-0016 (DN R024.88) over the Middle Fork of the Smith River in Del Norte county is named the "Allen
Fredrick Lehman Memorial Bridge" (signed as "Allen F. Lehman
Memorial Bridge". It was constructed in 1985, and was named by
Assembly Concurrent Resolution 87, Chapter 15, in 1986. Allen Frederick
Lehman was born on Jan 12, 1902 at Milwaukie; Clackamas; Oregon.
Allen Frederick Lehman resided in the County of Del Norte for nearly three
quarters of a century. He is intimately identified with the life and
history of the county by its residents. He contributed greatly to the life
and well being of the people of the county through his membership in
various fraternal and civic organizations including the Elk's Club of
Crescent City, the Crescent City Rotary Club, and the Ingomar Club in
Eureka. He served on the Crescent City Harbor Commission during its early
developmental days and was chairman of the commission in 1949. In 1953,
Crescent City's centennial year, he played a critical role in the year
long preparation for the celebration by serving as Chairman of the
Centennial Committee. He died on March 31, 1985 at Gasquet; Del Norte;
(Image Source: AARoads)
Tunnel 01-0049, near the Oregon State Line in Del Norte county (~ DN 33.526 to DN 33.848), is named the "Randolph
Collier Tunnel". It was built in 1963, and named by Senate
Concurrent Resolution 74, Chapter 246, in 1961. Senator Randolph Collier
was elected to the State Legislature from 1938-1976 to represent Humboldt,
Mendocino, Sonoma, Lake, Trinity, Del Norte and Siskiyou counties.
Although he was recognized as a leader in many fields of legislation,
Collier gained statewide and national fame in the planning and financing
of highways. He was the principal author of the Collier-Burns Act of 1947
which brought about the California Highway Plan. The state's highway
system served as a model throughout the nation in that the state assumed
responsibility for state highways in cities. Other improvements came with
the Highway Act of 1953 which stepped up the California freeway program
and the adoption of the California Freeway and Expressway System in 1959.
His interest in ecological preservation introduced legislation to provide
proper regulation of California's timberlands and protection for wild
rivers. He worked with local authorities in providing parks and
recreational facilities for the public. The naming of the Randolph Collier
Tunnel through Oregon Mountain was a tribute to its principal advocate. It
provided the first direct route from northwest Nevada to the Pacific
Ocean. It also eliminated the route over the summit's 128 curves and
hairpin switchbacks, and made the highway passable in snowy weather.
Senate committees on which Collier had served include Governmental
Efficiency, Finance, Revenue and Taxation, Insurance and Finance
Institutions, and Transportation.
(Biographical information: California State Archives; Image source: AARoads; Join California)
This route also has the following Safety Roadside Rest Areas:
[SHC 253.1] Entire route; signed as US Highway. Added to the Freeway and Expressway system in 1959.
[SHC 263.1] Entire route.
The following segments are designated as Classified Landscaped Freeway:
|County||Route||Starting PM||Ending PM|
[SHC 164.18] Entire route.
Overall statistics for Route 199:
In 1933, Chapter 767 added the route from "San Diego-Coronado Ferry in Coronado to [LRN 2] via Silver Strand" to the highway system. In 1935, this route was added to the highway code as LRN 199, with the same definition. The definition remained unchanged until the 1963 renumbering.
Acronyms and Explanations:
Route 198 Route 200
© 1996-2020 Daniel P. Faigin.
Maintained by: Daniel P. Faigin <email@example.com>.