This is a floating closed javascript menu.
Menu


State Shield

State Route 93

Click here for a key to the symbols used. An explanation of acronyms may be found at the bottom of the page.


Routing Routing

  1. Rte 93 Seg 1Unconstructed Route 77 near Moraga to Route 24 near Orinda.

    Post 1964 Signage History Post 1964 Signage History

    In 1963, the first two segments of this route were defined as "(a) Route 680 near Alamo to Route 77 near Burton. (b) Route 77 to Route 24 near Orinda."

    In 1973, Chapter 602 deleted the first segment, leaving only "(a) Route 77 near Burton to Route 24 near Orinda." This segment appears to have been LRN 255. This portion would have followed the east side of the Robert Sibley Volcano Regional Preserve, then paralelled Pinehurst Road to Route 77 near the Upper San Leandro Reservoir. Route 93 would have multiplexed with Route 77 between there and Moraga (where the LRN 255 portion would split off).

    Planned Route 93 was meant to be a freeway grade entirely contained within Contra Costa County and would have traversed a relatively sparsely populated part of the Diablo Range between Alamo westward to San Pablo.
    (Source: Gribblenation Blog (Tom Fearer): "Paper Highways; Unbuilt California State Route 93") 

    In 1988, Chapter 106 clarified the definition: "(a) Route 77 near Burton Moraga to Route 24 near Orinda."

    Pre 1964 Signage History Pre 1964 Signage History

    This routing was proposed, with no routing determined, in 1963. It was LRN 254, defined in 1959.

    Status Status

    The traversable local routing is along Moraga Way. There are no plans to improve this to state standards.


  2. Rte 93 Seg 2Unconstructed Route 24 near Orinda to Route 80 in Richmond and Pinole.

    Post 1964 Signage History Post 1964 Signage History

    In 1963, this segment was defined as "(c) Route 24 near Orinda to Route 17 in Richmond via San Pablo." It was renumbered as (b) in 1973.

    In 1988, Chapter 106 clarified the definition of (a) and split (b): "(a) Route 77 near Burton Moraga to Route 24 near Orinda. (b) Route 24 near Orinda to Route 17 Route 80 in Richmond and Pinole. (c) Route 80 to Route 580 in Richmond via San Pablo and north Richmond." This also reflected the renumbering of Route 17 as I-580.

    Pre 1964 Signage History Pre 1964 Signage History

    This routing was proposed, with no routing determined, in 1963. It was LRN 254, defined in 1959. It runs roughly along San Pablo Dam Road.

    Status Status

    The traversable local routing is along Camino Pablo, and San Pablo Dam Road. There are no plans to improve this to state standards.


  3. Rte 93 Seg 3Route 80 to Route 580 in Richmond via San Pablo and north Richmond.

    Post 1964 Signage History Post 1964 Signage History

    This segment was created from a split of the original 1963 (c) [Route 24 near Orinda to Route 17 in Richmond via San Pablo] in 1988.

    Pre 1964 Signage History Pre 1964 Signage History

    This routing was proposed, with no routing determined, in 1963. It was LRN 254, defined in 1959. It runs roughly along San Pablo Dam Road.

    Status Status

    This is constructed to expressway standards. Note that Richmond Parkway (constructed by the City of Richmond), although it has callboxes signed "CC-93", is not part of the state highway at the present time. Those callboxes were placed by the County, not the state, and the highway is not up to state expressway standards. The city wants to eventually have the route incorporated into the state system; hence the numbering. According to Sean Tongson, a Contra Costa County transportation improvement plan booklet indicates that some of the planned improvements include raising $17 million dollars to improve the Richmond Parkway; the reasoning for this besides improving traffic safety and maintenance include prepping for 'the transfer of ownership to the California Department of Transportation'. The state will not accept the route until it meets state expressway standards.


Pre 1964 Signage History Pre 1964 Signage History

Route 93 was not defined as part of the initial state signage of routes in 1934. It is unclear what (if any) route was signed as Route 93 between 1934 and 1964.

Freeway Freeway

[SHC 253.1] Entire route, all of which are unconstructed. Added to the Freeway and Expressway system in 1959.

Other WWW Links Other WWW Links

Statistics Statistics

Overall statistics for Route 93:

Pre-1964 Legislative Route Pre-1964 Legislative Route

In 1933, the segment from "[LRN 65] near Cool via Georgetown to [LRN 65] near Placerville". In 1935, this routing was codified as LRN 93 in the highway code, and the definition remained unchanged until 1963. It ran from Route 49 near Cool via Georgetown to Route 49 near Placerville. This was unsigned before 1964, and is present-day Route 193.


Acronyms and Explanations:


Back Arrow Route 92 Forward Arrow Route 94

© 1996-2020 Daniel P. Faigin.
Maintained by: Daniel P. Faigin <webmaster@cahighways.org>.