Click here for a key to the symbols used. An explanation of acronyms may be found at the bottom of the page.
From Route 99 in Stockton to Route 12 at Valley Springs.
In 1963, this segment was defined as two segments: “(a) Route 4 to Route 99 near Stockton” and “(b) Route 99 near Stockton to Route 12”. In 1994, Chapter 1220 deleted segment (a), and changed this segment to be “Route 99 in Stockton to Route 12 at Valley Springs."
What happened in 1994 is that a portion of Charter Way west of Route 99 was designated as Route 26 (up to where Mariposa Road meets up with Charter Way). Charter Way west of that point is now signed as Business Route 99 and was US 99/Route 4, with Mariposa Road southwest to Farmington Road also a part of US 99/Route 4).
This segment was signed as Route 8 before the 1964 renumbering, and was LRN 5, defined in 1933. Information on the original routing signed as Route 26 may be found below. Some additional history may be found in Tom Fearer's blog entry: California State Route 26.
The 2020 SHOPP, approved in May 2020, included the following Bridge
Preservation item of interest (carried over from the 2018 SHOPP): 10-San
Joaquin-26 PM 1.1 PPNO 3169 Proj ID 1016000032 EA 1F170. Route 26 near
Stockton, at Route 26/Route 99 Separation No. 29-0142 (PM 1.11). Establish
standard vertical clearance. Programmed in FY20-21, with construction
scheduled to start in July 2021. Total project cost is $17,202K, with
$11,543K being capital (const and right of way) and $5,659K being support
(engineering, environmental, etc.).
(Source: 2020 Approved SHOPP a/o May 2020)
In January 2020, the CTC approved an allocation of $2,945,000 for
10-SJ-26 13.1/R13.8. On Route 26 Near Linden, from 0.3 mile east of Fine
Road to 0.1 mile west of Podesta Lane. Outcome/Output: Widen
travel lanes and shoulders to improve the existing conditions for Surface
Transportation Assistance Act (STAA) trucks.
(Source: January 2020 CTC Agenda, Agenda Item 2.5b.(1) #23)
In September 2011 and October 2011, the CTC approved vacation of right of way in the county of San Joaquin along Route 26 at 0.4 mile north of North Escalon Bellota Road (near 26 SJ R15.46), consisting of superseded highway right of way no longer needed for State highway purposes. The County of San Joaquin was given a 90-day notice of intent to vacate, without protesting such action.
In April 2012, the CTC approved for future consideration of funding a project in San Joaquin County near the town of Linden that will realign two existing curves and replace the Sandstone Creek Bridge (26 SJ 18.78) with a triple box culvert. The project is programmed in the 2012 State Highway Operation and Protection Program (SHOPP). The total estimated project cost is $6,049,000 for capital and support. Construction is estimated to begin in Fiscal Year 2012-13. The scope, as described for the preferred alternative, is consistent with the project scope programmed by the Commission in the 2012 SHOPP.
In June 2007, the CTC considered a project in San Joaquin and Calaveras Counties that would make roadway improvements near Linden from Wimer Road/Ospital Road (26 SJ 20.316) to Savage Way (26 CAL 3.068). This project is fully funded in the 2006 State Highway Operation and Protection Program (SHOPP). The total estimated project cost is $21,008,000. Construction is estimated to begin in FY 2008-09. The project will involve construction activities in the environmentally sensitive habitat of the California tiger salamander and the Western spadefoot toad. Three archaeological sites that are eligible for the National Register of Historic Places are located within the project area. In addition, farmland and relocation issues resulted in a Mitigated Negative Declaration being completed for this project.
In December 2017, it was reported that Caltrans would be funding the
Valley Springs Complete Streets Capital Infrastructure Plan & Project
Prioritization. The Plan provides the community level planning needed to
develop conceptual complete streets transportation improvements that build
upon operational investments on Route 26 and the Route 12/Route 26
intersection (approx. 26 CAL 10.228), incorporates community aesthetic,
and provides safe travel options for residents and students to schools and
community centers. The project is a collaborative partnership of the
School, Caltrans, CHP, and Calaveras Council of Governments, Calaveras
County, and community.
(Source: My Mother Lode.Com, 12/9/2017)
[SHC 253.3] Entire portion (Stockton to Valley Springs). Added to the Freeway and Expressway system in 1965.
From Route 12 to Route 88 near Pioneer Station via Mokelumne Hill and West Point.
In 1963, this segment was first defined (by Chapter 385) as "Route 12 to Route 49 near Mokelumne Hill.". Before the year was out the routing was extended by Chapter 2155 to be "to West Point via Mokelumne Hill." In 1984, it was extended by Chapter 409 to terminate at "Route 88 near Pioneer Station via Mokelumne Hill and West Point" by a transfer of a segment from Route 104.
Some additional history may be found in Tom Fearer's blog entry: California State Route 26.
The segment between the community of Mokelumne Hill (approx 26 CAL 18.045) and West Point (approx 26 CAL 34.474) is named
the "Stephen P. Teale Highway". It was named in memory of State
Senator Stephen P. Teale, who was born in June 1916, in San Francisco and
moved to the community of West Point in Calaveras County in 1945, where he
lived until his death in 1997. Teale chose to become a physician and
surgeon in 1932, graduating from the California College of Osteopathic
Physicians and Surgeons in 1943, and he served two years of internship and
residency at Los Angeles County General Hospital. A few years after "Doc"
Teale settled in the foothills, he established his medical practice in
Calaveras County and quickly became a legendary figure, having won the
respect and loyalty of the citizens of Calaveras County and the Mother
Lode Country. In 1948, the people of Calaveras County elected him to the
county board of supervisors, where he served for five years, having been
re-elected in 1952. In a special election in 1953, "Doc" Teale was
overwhelmingly elected to the State Senate representing Calaveras,
Mariposa, and Tuolumne Counties, and, until his retirement in 1972, served
there with distinction, being recognized as one of the Legislature's most
influential and effective members. "Doc" Teale was also remarkable for his
continued interest in technology and, in recognition of his efforts to
establish computer technology in the Legislature, the Senate named the
state's computer center the "Stephen P. Teale Data Center". That name
lasted until 2005, when the Stephen P. Teale Data Center, Health and Human
Services Agency Data Center and the Department of General Services Office
of Network Services were consolidated to form a new agency: The Department
of Technology Services (DTS). As part of the new agency, Teale Data Center
became the Gold Camp Campus. Teale (as Chair of the Senate Reapportionment
Committee) and Don A. Allen Sr. (as Chair of the Assembly Elections and
Reapportionment Committee) were the two legislators responsible for the
1966 Senate reapportionment following the Reynolds v. Sims court decision.
Between 1974 and 1993, he served as a Member, California Post Secondary
Education Commission. Named by Senate Concurrant Resolution 43, Chapter
106, in 1997.
(Image source: Center for Sacramento History)
Bridge 30-0052 (26 CAL R033.65), crossing the Middle Fork of the Mokelumne River, near West Point, is named the "Tom Taylor Bridge".
Tom Taylor, a lifetime resident of Calaveras County, served as a County
Supervisor and was instrumental in securing funding for the construction
of the bridge that bears his name. A third generation resident of
Calaveras County, Taylor was born Nov. 25, 1919, to Maurice and Ruby Ames
Taylor in Rail Road Flat, where he lived most of his life. He was married
for more than 60 years to his childhood schoolmate Mary McPherson Taylor.
Taylor attended Rail Road Flat School and graduated from Calaveras High
School. He attended College of the Pacific before serving with the Naval
Construction Battalion (SeaBees) during World War II, when he was
stationed in Okinawa, Dutch Harbor, Alaska, and Port Hueneme, Calif. He
operated Taylor Logging Company and was a logging contractor throughout
the Mother Lode area and Lassen County until he retired in 1975. He also
was a land developer in Calaveras County. In 1980, Taylor was elected
county supervisor for District 2 n the position his uncle Tom Taylor had
held in the 1920s and was sworn into office on Jan. 5, 1981. He served 16
years on the board of supervisors, and retired in 1996. Several projects
were begun or completed during his time on the board, including the Rock
Creek Solid Waste Landfill near Milton, a new bridge for Route 26 over the
Middle Fork of the Mokelumne River near West Point and a new bridge on
Rail Road Flat Road over the South Fork of the Mokelumne. He was
instrumental in securing funding for construction of the new Middle Fork
bridge. He and his wife donated to the community the use of the property
which became known as Taylor Park in Rail Road Flat. He lived in Sonora
from 1962 to 1969, and at the time of his death, had lived in San Andreas
for five years. It was named by Assembly Concurrent Resolution 105,
Chapter 107 in 1998.
(Bio information: Calavas Enterprise obit; Image source: Bridgeof the Week)
Overall statistics for Route 26:
In 1934, Route 26 was signed along the route from Route 3 (US 101A, later Route 1) near Seal Beach to US 101 near Santa Ana along Bolsa Avenue. This was LRN 183, defined in 1933, and deleted by 1951. The Route 26 signage appears to have been dropped before the printing of the 1938 state highway map.
By the time the 1938 state highway map was printed, LRN 173 (defined in
1933), the route originally signed as Route 6 was resigned as Route 26.
The original signed Route 6 ran from Santa Monica to Jct. Route 39 in
Fullerton along roughly Olympic and Whittier. In Los Angeles, it ran
between US101A (Lincoln Blvd) and US101 along 10th Street, later renamed
Olympic Blvd (in 1939, the route ran along Pico between Lincoln and
Robertson). Evidently, the original plan was to call this Route 6, but
that went away when US 6 was assigned to a different route. It used the
McClure Tunnel now used for I-10. Olympic Boulevard was built (widened and
realigned) in two stages. By 1938, major improvements were completed. The
jog at Figueroa Street was eliminated. Near Alvarado Street, Hoover Street
and Arlington Avenue, Olympic Boulevard was realigned away from 10th
Street to provide continuity. Westerly of Lucerne Boulevard, Country Club
Drive was renamed Olympic Boulevard, widened throughout and extended
through the 20th Century Fox movie studio property. Further improvements
were disrupted by World War II. In 1948, the final links of Olympic
Boulevard were constructed between Crenshaw Boulevard and Lucerne
Boulevard and between Centinela Avenue and Lincoln Boulevard. The latter
project was built as a landscaped divided parkway with no driveways
through the City of Santa Monica. Before the construction of the freeway
in downtown LA, the route continued along Olympic Blvd and 9th St. to
Atlantic Blvd (Route 15; LRN 167). A 1942 map shows that Route 26 was cosigned with Bypass US 101 from
approximately the Olympic/Telegraph junction to Route 19. A 1948 map shows
the route running along Olympic, 9th St, Anaheim, Telegraph, Los Nietos,
Whittier Road, La Mirada Road, and La Habra Road, terminating at the
intersection of Manchester Blvd (then Bypass US 101) and La Habra Road in
Buena Park. It was later replaced by I-10, the Santa Monica Freeway,
but early plans show this as the Olympic Freeway. The signage
for Route 26 may have been down by 1959.
(Some historical information on 10th St/Olympic Blvd was derived from "Transportation Topics and Tales: Milestones in Transportation History in Southern California" by John E. Fisher, P.E. PTOE, available at http://ladot.lacity.org/pdf/PDF100.pdf)
Plans for sign gantries available on Michael Ballard's site show the intent was to have Route 26
signed at the East LA Interchange, leading into the Pomona and Santa Ana
Freeways. This was likely either due to the short routing of LRN 173 down
Whitter or along Olympic.
(Source: Michael Ballard, East LA Interchange, a/o 7/18/2020)
The route that was to become LRN 26 was first defined in the 1916 Second Bond Issue, together with LRN 27. The wording was "an extension of the San Bernardino county state highway lateral to the Arizona State Line near the town of Yuma, Arizona, via the cities of Brawley and El Centro in Imperial County by the most direct and practical route...". Given that the "San Bernardino county state highway lateral" was LRN 9 (from LRN 4 (US 99) in San Fernando to San Bernardino, this means that LRN 26 initially started near former US 66 in San Bernardino. The 1944 map to the right shows the spur of LRN 26 into San Bernardino along E Street. From there, the route continued to Colton, then to Indio, down along the south shore of the Salton Sea to Heber and Brawley, where it met LRN 27 in El Centro. LRN 27 (US 80, later I-8) then continued easterly from El Centro to Yuma Arizona.
It was extended again on both ends in 1931. On the northwestern end, there was a significant extension west of Colton, adding a segment that ran from [LRN 26] near Colton via Pomona to Los Angeles. Specifically, segment (i) of Chapter 82 defined it as "[LRN 26] near Colton via Pomona to Los Angeles". The April 1931 also discussed the proposal for the route, which referred to it as "a highway from Los Angeles to a connection with [LRN 26] E of Colton". The confusing part here is that the extension did not start in Los Angeles; rather, it started from the eastern border of Los Angeles (roughly the LA River, just E of Eastern Avenue), near Ramona and Garvey. The routing utilized Garvey (much of which was later subsumed by I-10) and Holt Avenue. The rationale for the extension was to provide a mid-point route between LRN 9 (US 66) to the north, and the eventual US 60 routing to the south.
The 1931 act also extended the route on the southeastern end, extending it from El Centro and the junction with LRN 27 (US 80) to the border at Calexico. The extension's norther end was near the junction of LRN 12 (US 80 - El Centro to San Diego), LRN 27 (El Centro to Yuma), and LRN 26 (El Centro to Los Angeles) in the center of the intensely cultivated irrigation district of the Imperial Valley. The southern terminus was the only important entrance to California from Mexico E of the Pacific Coast.
In 1933, the route was extended from "Los Angeles (Aliso Street) to [LRN 26] near Monterey Park via Ramona Blvd", which completed LRN 26 into downtown Los Angeles. This was the eventual Ramona Expressway that became the San Bernardino Freeway (I-10).
By 1935, LRN 26 was codified into the highway code as:
It was primary state highway from San Bernardino to El Centro.
In 1959, Chapter 1841 deleted the connection from Colton to San Bernardino from the route (which ran along E street). Chapter 1062 earlier that year had added LRN 275, which was a routing from LRN 26 to LRN 190 (Route 30), so the connection was effectively transferred from LRN 26 to LRN 275.
In 1961, Chapter 1146 relaxed the description of segment (a) to eliminate
a specific routing (and thus permitting the Interstate routing): "Los
(Aliso Street) to Calexico via Ramona
Boulevard, Monterey Park, Pomona, Colton, Brawley, and El
Signage along this route was as follows:
The connection into San Bernardino from Colton, which was part of this route until 1959, was signed as Route 18.
From Indio, LRN 26 diverged from US 60/US 70, and continued S along the present-day Route 86 to Brawley, and then to El Centro. It continued through El Centro to cross US 80 (LRN 12) to Route 111 (LRN 201) near Heber. This was signed as US 99.
Acronyms and Explanations:
Route 25 Route 27
© 1996-2020 Daniel P. Faigin.
Maintained by: Daniel P. Faigin <email@example.com>.