It’s Saturday, and that means it’s time to clean out the accumulated links. As I’ve got about an hour before I jump into the Fringe, let’s get going:
- Saving a Dying Jewish Language. No, I don’t mean Yiddish. I mean Ladino. Here’s a neat article on how a Turkish newspaper is working to save Ladino.
- Kill the Lawn One of the big pushes here is LA is to get rid of the lawn. But what is really involved? Here’s a first-person account of an adventure in grass removal.
- Just Keep Building. Here’s an interesting article of local interest: 188 more homes are planned for Porter Ranch.
- I’ll Have it On Ice. If you know me, you know I primarily drink two things: water, and iced tea. Here’s an article about how iced tea became a thing.
- Just Cram It In. Airlines are a great example of an organization that doesn’t fully think out their problems… or perhaps they do. They want more revenue. So they institute check in bag charges. As a result, people start carrying on more, slowing boarding and not leaving enough space. Their proposal: make the carry-on bags smaller. This will force people to pay for checked luggage (which is what they wanted in the first place).
- Don’t Put It In The Fridge. A really interesting article on what fruit you should refrigerate and what fruit you shouldn’t.
- Travel Tips. One last piece from the Times: Why you should carry two wallets when you travel abroad.
- Pen-is Envy. Get your mind out of the gutter: it is pronounced pen-iss, for I’m envious of this: Levenger’s L-Tech 3.0 Stealth, a serious fountain pen.
- I’m Free. I’m Free. No, I’m not. Lastly, Twitter will be lifting the 140 character limit (yay), but for messages, not tweets (boo)