As I’m going out to lunch with my daughter today, here’s my lunchtime news chum a little bit early. I’ve already written a post about some things that went away at the end of 2012. Here are some more things that are going away:
- Rabbi Don Goor. From an article in the Jewish Journal I learned that Rabbi Don Good and his partner, Evan Kent, are making aliyah. I knew Don when we were campers together. I wish him the best of luck.
- Exploratorium at Palace of Fine Arts. Wednesday was the last day of the Exploratorium at the Palace of Fine Arts location. It is now in the process of moving to the new buildings at the pier. What will become of the Palace? Your guess is as good as mine.
- Current TV. Al Gore has sold Current TV to another Al, Al Jazeera. Although I understand why he did this, and why Mr. Jazeera was buying it, I really wish he hadn’t done it. This is just going to play into all the conspiracy theorists who believe there is a great Islamic conspiracy.
- St. George, Missouri. One village in St. Louis County decided to disincorporate at the end of 2011 and go back to being part of the county. Guess what happened. Not very much. The speed limits have been raised, and there are fewer stop signs.
- A Wikipedia Hoax. For over 5 years, a page has existed on Wikipedia about when India clashed with Portugal in the Bicholem Conflict. Only one problem: it never happened. Wikipedia has finally removed the pages. Remember boys and girls: Wikipedia is not authoritative.
- Macys in Pasadena. Macys is closing the store in Pasadena at Paseo Colorado. I remember when that used to be the Broadway. I seem to recall it being a Broadway Clearance store as well.
- The Canadian Penny. The Canadians have opted to get rid of the penny. Well, actually, they are only getting rid of it for cash transactions. Pay by check or credit card, and you’ll have to have common cents. (ducks and runs)
- Christmas Trees. Ever wonder what happens to those Christmas Trees on the curbs after Christmas. Zev’ll tell you. They are recycled, yes, but there are many different ways to recycle them.
- Elvis in Utah. Yup. A Salt Lake City community has deemed an Elvis musical, All Shook Up, to be too racy for their children to perform. Oh, that pelvis! (ETA: They are doing the musical after all, after the producers permitted some edits) (ETA: Related to this… another community near Salt Lake City has renamed Morning Glory Road to Morning Vista Road because of the sexual connotation of the name, Morning Glory. I’ll bet you didn’t know that Morning Glory was a sexual term.)