Today’s a virtual Friday, and as it is proving busier than I expected (due to the ACSAC conference), let’s just jump into the chum-infested waters…
- Kids Doing Good. It’s that time of year again: Academic Decathalon time. The competitions have started here in Los Angeles. My daughter went to the one mentioned in the article (East Valley) as part of the Van Nuys HS team, and I should note that the VN team came in 5th.
- Old Battles Revisited. Bill Gates has been testifying this week on the WordPerfect vs. Word Battle. You probably thought it was settled long ago… well, this is about long ago. There are more details at Slashdot. Now, I’m a power-WordPerfect user as well as a power-Word user, and given the choice, I’ll use WordPerfect. I’ve been using it since 5.1 days; I found 6.1 relatively stable, and 8 and 10 even more so. I’m currently using X3 and very happy with it.
- Eating Habits. And you thought breakfast was just in the morning, and dinner was in the evening. Our obesity epidemic has to come from somewhere, and perhaps it is the fact that people are eating at all hours of the day, and foodmakers and restaurants are just catering to the schedules. Want dinner in the morning? Want linner? Want high-fat snacks at 2pm? You’ll be accommodated. But don’t worry if you get ill. Thin people are at greater risk post surgery.
- Selling Your Eyeballs. People always seem to complain about ads on LJ, but not on Facebook. Well, there are going to be more ads on Facebook. Specifically, that live ticker you hate — Facebook is adding “sponsored content” to it.
- Yayyyyy! (runs around like a muppet). This weekend actually has some good movies, which I may need to squeeze in between my live theatre. One is the new Muppets, and their resurgence is leading NBC to request a pilot for a new Muppets show. That’s the good news. In the bad news, NBC has also requested a pilot for a remake of the Munsters, as if the last remake wasn’t bad enough.