As you probably know by now, I collect news chum on various topics, one of which is “Decision 2016”. Setting aside my articles on the California Propositions (I’m waiting for my sample ballot and such before I do that election post), here’s some of the other chum I’ve collected. Some of this has already been posted on Facebook, but is repeated here for completeness.
- Here’s a really nice infographic on why one should vote FOR Hillary (on top of just voting against Trump). There are four photos, so you may need to go back and forward.
- In my post on History on Trial, I talk about convergence of the evidence, convergence of the facts, leading you to one conclusion. In this election, we’ve got convergence of the endorsements. Not only are the traditional Democratic papers endorsing Hillary, but traditional Republican papers like the Arizona Republic, the Houston Chronicle, the Dallas Morning News, and the Cincinnati Enquirer. Further, papers that have never done an endorsement, such as USA Today, have come out steadfastly against Donald Trump (although they could not reach concensus to be pro-Clinton). [In fact, the USA Today endorsement is one of the best arguments against Trump I’ve seen]. Some other Republican papers have endorsed Johnson, such as the Detroit News and the New Hampshire Union Leader, because they simply find Trump an unacceptable candidate. This is a convergence: Donald Trump is not qualified and does not have the right temperament to be President. Given Johnson’s latests gaffes, really only one candidate in this election is qualified and has the right temperament: Clinton. [PS: If you are considering voting for Johnson or Stein, please ensure you are in a state where your protest vote will not tip your state to Trump. Non-swing state? Go for it (although I think they are both batshit crazy)!]
- There is one group that is steadfastly, unconvincingly, for Trump. The Orthodox Jewish community. Why? It clearly isn’t because he welcomes Jews — just today he asked if non-Christians should be allowed at his ralleys. They don’t care that he is drawing white supremacists into his fold. Why then? His unflinchingly pro-Israel views, that brook no room for the Palestinians, and his opposition to the Iran Nuclear deal.
- Hopefully, women are realizing that Trump is not the man for them. After Trump revealed himself at the debate, falling into Hillary’s trap, he blundered into it again the next day, still harping on Machado by fat-shaming her again. He has continued to do so, digging the hole even deeper, not knowing when to stop. Then comes the news that Trump would fire women at his golf course if they weren’t pretty enough. Now, just imagine how Trump would work with female leaders of foreign countries. Of course, Trump thinks we’ll forget all of this if we focus instead on Bill Clinton’s sex scandals of the past (forgetting that Bill isn’t the candidate, Hillary is).
- We’ve all heard how Trump wants to lower taxes on the wealthy, believing that the wealthy will then create jobs for the middle class. Well, in doing so, he will raise the taxes on the middle class. Isn’t that just what the country needs?
- How about fiscal responsibility? Trump will drastically increase the national debt. He’s probably expecting (as a businessman) that he’ll just be able to declare bankruptcy to get rid of it. Probably is, nations going bankrupt are bad things (look at Greece or Ireland), especially for the people holding that debt. Do you have any savings bonds? Treasury notes? That’s you he’ll be stiffin’.
- Oh, and for those who were going to vote against Clinton because her daughter supposedly said pot kills, (a) that’s not what she actually said (she said that it could be lethal in combinations with other drugs), and (b) she’s walked back those remarks. Further, remember that if we wouldn’t vote for a candidate if they had a stupid child, Bush 43 would never have been elected.
That should clear out the links some. I’m sure I’ll collect more….