As you can see, I’m doing a late lunch today. This means I’ve got food on the brain…
- Restaurant News.Some interesting restaurant news. (1) The original non-chain Katsu-Ya will be opening in Northridge in the home of longtime Kabuki Sushi at 9701 Reseda Boulevard. This is the same shopping center as Chi’s, as Reseda and Superior. (2) As you are likely aware, Juniors in Westwood is gone. So what is replacing it? Lenny’s Deli, which used to be in the Palisades.
- When You Say Budweiser? You get a trademark fight. But now there’s some form of resolution in the fight between Aheuser-Busch InBev and Budejovicky Budvar. A European court has ruled that Anheuser-Busch InBev can trademark the name “Bud” for its beers in Europe over the objections of Czech company Budejovicky Budvar, which makes brews that it calls Budweiser Budvar and Bud Premier Select.
- Popchips. What do you do when you buy a used rice cake plant? Convert it to potatoes, and have celebrities design flavors for you. That’s what Popchips did. Forbes considers it one of America’s Most Promising Companies.
- Real California Chicken. If you grew up in California, you remember names such as Foster Farms and Zacky Farms. Zacky recently entered bankruptcy, and the good news is that it is remaining in family hands, producing California chicken and turkey.
- Buck Chuck. Trader Joes is raising the price of “Two Buck Chuck”.
- Porn in Public. Food porn, that is. However, more and more restaurants are telling patrons: don’t take pictures of your food. Others are encouraging it. Still others are installing Kodak Food Photography Spots. New York is informally banning food porn photography.