Ah, Thanksgiving is over. People can start putting up their holiday decorations, and oh the shopping at those Black Friday sales. Have we got a bargain for you here on this blog: A sale on some slightly used news chum, cleaning out the inventory with a Thanksgiving and Black Friday theme. Shall we start?
Reading the social networks yesterday, the music of choice is that classic about T-Day Turkeys: Alice’s Restaurant. Here’s an interesting article on the Jewish connections of the song, including the connections between Alice’s Restaurant, Meir Kahane, and Donald Trump.
Stuffing is typically made from bread, so here are two interesting articles related to the Gluten-Free lifestyle. The first talks about the increasing growth in people going gluten free, when in reality the problem might not be gluten — it might be fructans instead. The second looks at some recent genetic engineering that aims at developing a gluten-free from of wheat. I’d be too worried about cross-contamination in that case.
Ah, the dessert. A sugar high from all those pies. But we now know that the real culprits in our diets might not be the fat, but all that sugar. Further, we’re just learning that the sugar industry took lessons from big tobacco, and tried to hide the truth from us.
Cleaning Up Afterwards
Three articles related to cleaning up after that big dinner:
- As you clean up the table, you’ll have a load of trash. Here are 25 things you probably didn’t realize you could recycle.
- Got an oil stain? That outfit will probably have to go to the dry cleaners. Here’s a great infographic on how dry cleaning works.
- Going for that tasty bit of turkey left under a hangnail. Here’s the science behind why we bite our nails. That probably won’t stop me.
Going shopping afterwards? Here is some useful information:
- Want to buy some music? Perhaps Alice’s Restaurant? Here’s an interactive map to every record store on earth. And speaking of record stores, here’s my favorite song about record stores.
- Looking to get a laptop? Here’s your guide to the best laptop deals this Black Friday.