Well, its the end of another busy weeks. I have accumulated a few interesting links I would like to share, now that I’m taking a late lunch break:
- Drugs, Drugs, and More Drugs. Saturday is National Prescription Drug Take Back Day, so this is an excellent time to clear out your drug repository of expired and unneeded meds. Note I didn’t say “Medicine Cabinet”, for that’s that worst place to keep your drugs.
- God Save the Future Queen. Reflecting the changing times, the UK and related monarchies have changed their rules so it is the firstborn child, not firstborn son, that is first in line of succession. Further, they no longer are prohibited from marrying Catholics, although Catholics are still barred from ascending to the throne. Just think what this would have meant in the time of the Tudors!
- Weighty Subjects. Speaking of weighty rulers and weighty subjects, a study has shown why it is so hard to keep weight off after you lose it (something I know well). Basically, when you lose weight, the body adjusts hormones, which don’t go back to their earlier levels. Your body essentially resists the weight loss.
- Brown Does It Better. No, not Jerry, although he’s doing good. UPS. HuffPost has a link to a fascinating article exploring why UPS’s Louisville KY hub is so revolutionary.
- ((ADD-TO (DEATH-LIST) (McCARTHY))). John McCarthy, the inventor of LISP and a giant in the field of AI, has passed away. Just remember: The world of LISP is shaped like an onion.
- Pumpkins. Lastly, Halloween is coming, so what better than a pumpkin article. The LA Times has an article on why California Farms grow pumpkins, and it isn’t for the money. You should also watch last week’s SciFri Video, which is on super pumpkin carvers, and how to make your carved pumpkin last. See, I knew I could get your gourd with that last one.