Routes 169 through 176
Click here for a key to the symbols used. "LRN" refers to the Pre-1964 Legislative Route Number. "US" refers to a US Shield signed route. "I" refers to an Eisenhower Interstate signed route. "Route" usually indicates a state shield signed route, but said route may be signed as US or I. Previous Federal Aid (pre-1992) categories: Federal Aid Interstate (FAI); Federal Aid Primary (FAP); Federal Aid Urban (FAU); and Federal Aid Secondary (FAS). Current Functional Classifications (used for aid purposes): Principal Arterial (PA); Minor Arterial (MA); Collector (Col); Rural Minor Collector/Local Road (RMC/LR). Note that ISTEA repealed the previous Federal-Aid System, effective in 1992, and established the functional classification system for all public roads.
169 · 170 · 171 · 172 · 173 · 174 · 175 · 176
From Route 101 near Klamath to Route 96 near Weitchpec. Note that the legislative definition explicitly allows Caltrans to maintain a traversable highway located in portions of the area between the termini of and approximately on this route even though the highway is not continuous.
This routing is unchanged from its 1963 definition.
This route was LRN 46, defined in 1919. It appears to have not been signed before 1963.
Route 169 was not defined as part of the initial state signage of routes in 1934. It is unclear what (if any) route was signed as Route 169 between 1934 and 1964.
This route is explicitly allowed to be non-continuous. Unconstructed from Terwer Riffle Road near Klamath Glen to to Wauteck Village near Johnsons Road along the Klamath River, although there are some primative logging roads that are unsuitable for use as a state highway. Part of the reason for the non-continuity is the fact that the portion from Klamath Glen to Johnsons lies within the Yurok Indian Reservation. Another reason for the discontinuity was a series of devistating floods in 1964. In 2002, Caltrans indicated a feasibility study was in progress for this route.
In August 2016, the CTC approved for future consideration of funding a project on Route 169 (01-Hum-169, PM 26.4/29.9) in Humboldt County that will repair slipouts on a portion of Route 169 near the community of Weitchpec within the Yurok Tribe Reservation. The project is programmed in the 2014 State Highway Operation and Protection Program. The total programmed amount is $7,790,000 for capital and support. Construction is estimated to begin in Fiscal Year 2016-17. The scope, as described for the preferred alternative, is consistent with the project scope programmed by the Commission in the 2014 State Highway Operation and Protection Program.
Bridge 01-0045 (now Bridge 01-0077, DN 002.58, rebuilt in 2006) at Terwer Creek in Del Norte county, is named the "Perry and Emma McBeth Memorial Bridge". It was built in 1949, and was named by Senate Resolution 138 the same year. Perry and Emma McBeth settled in Del Norte County in 1911 where they lived lives of generosity and selfless service to all the inhabitants of the lower Klamath.
Overall statistics for Route 169:
In 1933, Chapter 767 added the route from "Spring Street to Firestone Boulevard via Somerset Avenue" to the highway system. In 1935, this was added to the highway code as LRN 169 with the routing:
"Spring Street to [LRN 174] (Firestone Boulevard) via Somerset Avenue"
In 1945, Chapter 1269 deleted this routing. Somerset Avenue was later renamed Bellflower Blvd, and the Spring Street referenced was in Long Beach, so this routing ran roughly from Long Beach to Firestone, paralleling what later became I-605.
From Los Angeles International Airport to Route 90.
In 1971, Chapter 1398 split this segment: "(a) Los Angeles International Airport to Route 90. (b) Route 2 to Route 101 in Los Angeles." Note that this definition deleted the portion between Route 90 (Slauson Blvd) and Route 2 (Santa Monica Blvd).
In 2015, Chapter 451 (10/2/2015) deleted this segment from the definition.
Unsigned; unconstructed. Caltrans has no plans to adopt the route. However, it does show up in the CalTrans Routelog in 2001. The traversable local routing was identified as La Tijera Blvd and La Cienega Blvd.
It appears that a small segment of this may have been constructed to freeway standards--the segment of La Cienega Blvd between Centinela (Route 107) and Rodeo Road. In 1953, it was reported in CHPW that "Los Angeles County recently opened to traffic a section of expressway from roughly Stocker Street to Jefferson Boulevard, which now extends this expressway from the City of Inglewood to Jefferson Boulevard in the general route indicated on the map for the Crenshaw Freeway." That segment was designed, constructed, and financed by the Los Angeles Dept. of Public Works for $2 million.
The "La Cienega Freeway" portion is now an expressway maintained by the county of Los Angeles. At least one map dating from the late 1950's show this as part of the future Route 170 freeway. For more history, see the information for LRN 160 and the information about the 1955 proposal for the La Cienega Freeway. It is also clear that the I-405 interchange with La Cienega was constructed to be a future Route 170 interchange: this is clear from the construction of the off-ramps and on-ramps.
This segment was to have been named the "Skyway Freeway". It was named by Assembly Concurrent Resolution 109, Chapter 26, in 1974. The name derives from the fact the route was meant to go to the Los Angeles Airport.
It is also referred to as the La Cienega Freeway. La Cienega is actually a misspelling of the Spanish word "cienaga", meaning "marsh" or "swamp." The misspelling began with the name of the local ranch. The name might refer to the wetlands originally near the airport.
[SHC 253.7] Entire portion (unconstructed). Added to the Freeway
and Expressway system in 1959. The portion from LAX to I-405 was added to the
Freeway and Expressway system on 9/17/1965. This entire segment was deleted
from the Freeway and Expressway System in 2015 by SB 491, Chapter 451,
From Route 101 near Riverside Drive to Route 101 in Los Angeles.
(b) The relinquished former portion of Route 170 within the City of Los Angeles between Route 2 and Route 101 is not a state highway and is not eligible for adoption under Section 81. For that relinquished former portion of Route 170, the City of Los Angeles shall maintain signs directing motorists to the continuation of Route 170.
This segment was part of the original definition of segment (a) in 1963.
In 1964, the CHC adopted 0.4 mile of Vineland Avenue in Los Angeles between the Hollywood Freeway and Lankershim Boulevard as Route 170. In a related action, the CHC relinquished the portion of Lankershim Boulevard between the Hollywood Freeway and Vineland Avenue, formerly part of Route 170, to the city.
AB 3047, Chapter 650, 9/21/2004, permits the California Transportation Commission to relinquish to the City of Los Angeles this segment of Route 170 pursuant to the terms of a cooperative agreement between the city and the department, upon a determination by the commission that the relinquishment is in the best interests of the state. Such a relinquishment becomes effective immediately following the recordation by the county recorder of the relinquishment resolution containing the commission's approval of the terms and conditions of the relinquishment. At that point, the portion of Route 170 relinquished under this subdivision shall cease to be a state highway, and cannot be considered for future adoption. This segment was up for relinquishment in November 2005.
In May 2007, the LA Department of Public Works issued a press release that noted the Route 170 was under city jurisdiction, as well as acknowledging the receipt of $3.2 million from Caltrans for future street and traffic improvements on the formerly State-owned portion of Highland Avenue. The Department of Public Works Bureau of Engineering (BOE) will take the lead in the design and construction management of future street improvements to ease traffic along the relinquished portion of Highland Avenue, stretching northbound from Santa Monica Boulevard to US 101. This will permit the city to make needed improvements. These improvements include adjusting lane widths to City standards for optimized use of the street’s surface and synchronization of street signals to relieve traffic congestion along the Highland corridor. Transfer of jurisdiction over the thoroughfare to the city also gives way to the highly anticipated Highland-Franklin Intersection Improvement Project, which will widen streets and add right-turn pockets to the intersection of Highland and Franklin to mitigate traffic in the area for commuters and local residents. The project includes the installation of 45 new streetlights, 29 street trees, 30 decorative pedestrian lights and new traffic signals along Highland and Franklin avenues. Construction of the project is expected to begin in late May 2006, under a 6-month contract awarded to Excel Paving. In addition to Highland Avenue, the relinquished area includes Cahuenga Boulevard East, just north of Pilgrimage Bridge to Odin Street; Cahuenga Boulevard West, just north of Pilgrimage Bridge to Hollywood Bowl Road; and Odin Street from Cahuenga Boulevard eastbound to Highland Avenue. There exist a number of streets in the City of Los Angeles currently under State ownership due to their original purpose as direct connectors to State highways.
In 2010, SB 1318, Chapter 421, 9/29/10, changed the start of this segment:
Route 2 Route 101 near Riverside Drive to...". Note that
there doesn't seem to be any actual postmile-define route for this miniscule
In 2015, SB 491, Chapter 451, 10/2/15, deleted segment (a).
This was a constructed portion of LRN 160, defined in 1933. There was also an unconstructed portion that ran along Crescent Heights/Laurel Canyon Blvd between Santa Monica and US 101 (in the San Fernando Valley). This was never constructed, althought it remained proposed for a long time.
Had the freeway routing been constructed, it would have been named the "Laurel Canyon Freeway". Maps based on the 1956 freeway planning maps show this as continuing N from US 101 to I-5, joining at what would have been a hell-of-an-interchange: the Laurel Canyon freeway, the Sunland Freeway (see Route 64), the Hollywood Freeway (present-day Route 170), Golden State Freeway (I-5). Laurel Canyon refers to the canyon in Hollywood Hills; the portion in the flats was originally called Pacoima Avenue.
The route ran along Cahuenga, and thence upon Highland to Santa Monica Blvd. Cahuenga is an Indian name, probably derived from the name of a local Indian village. The routing was originally planned as freeway in 1965 but never constructed, along a routing that followed Laurel Canyon. Some map books indicate the route as signed, but no one has reported signs. If you look closely at the bridge marker at Caheunga and US 101, you will see it is signed as the Route 170/Route 101 junction. There are also two reassurance signs: One is southbound just south of the Hollywood Bowl, while the other is northbound at either Hollywood or Sunset.
From Route 101 near Riverside Drive to Route 5 near Tujunga Wash.
The following freeway-to-freeway connections were never constructed:
SB Route 170 to NB US 101. Rationale: Construction of this connector was put "on hold" pending completion of the interchange for the Laurel Canyon Freeway (Route 170), which ended up never being constructed.
NB Route 170 to SB I-5. Rationale: Illogical Reverse Move. The angle between the two freeways is too acute.
Mike Ballard has seen some signs indicating this might have been designated (or more likely, planned to be designated) as US 6. However, this has not been confirmed.
This was LRN 159, defined in 1933. Before the construction of the freeway, the route ran along Lankershim Blvd. It was unsigned before construction of the freeway (although one map shows it as being signed Route 159, which may be an error). Lankershim Boulevard was named for the town of Lankershim (first called Toluca, now North Hollywood) and its founding family. Isaac B. Lankershim grew wheat in a wide swath of the Valley.
The interchange of the US 101, Route 134, and Route 170 freeways (~LA R14.644) is named the "Bruce T. Hinman Memorial Interchange." Officer Bruce T. Hinman was on routine motorcycle patrol on Route 170 at US 101 when he stopped to assist a disabled motorist. A drunk driver traveling at 60 m.p.h. along US 101 attempted to change routes by driving over a raised berm, then across the freeway and onto the dirt shoulder where he crashed into the disabled vehicle. The impact spun the disabled vehicle around, striking the motorist, who was using the freeway call box, and knocking Officer Hinman to the ground. The car came to rest with its rear wheels on top of the officer's chest, suffocating him. Officer Hinman, 34, was placed on life support but died a week later. He was a nine-year member of the CHP and was assigned to the West Valley Area office directly after graduating from the Academy. CHP Officer Bruce Hinman, an eight-year CHP veteran, was said to be the first officer in the 26-year history of the patrol's West Valley station to die in the line of duty.
Although the route does not end at the US 101 junction, there is an "END Route 170" sign at that point.
[SHC 253.7] Entire portion. Added to the Freeway and Expressway system in 1959.
The following segments are designated as Classified Landscaped Freeway:
|County||Route||Starting PM||Ending PM|
The constructed portion of Route 170 begins at PM 9.2; hence, exit numbers will be approximately 9 less that the corresponding PMs.
Until 1968, Route 170 was a continuous route from Route 405 to Route 101 (the Laurel Canyon Freeway; LRN 160), and from Route 101 to Route 5 (Hollywood Freeway route; LRN 159). In 1968, the portion from the Los Angeles International Airport to Route 405 was added. In 1971, the discontinuities between (1) and (2) were introduced.
Route 170 was not defined as part of the initial state signage of routes in 1934. It is unclear what (if any) route was signed as Route 170 between 1934 and 1964.
Overall statistics for Route 170:
In 1933, Chapter 767 defined the route from "Long Beach-Santa Ana Road near Seal Beach via Santa Fe Springs to [LRN 26] near West Covina". In 1935, this was added to the highway code as LRN 170 with the routing:
No current routing.
In 1994, the previous routing for Route 171, from Route 5 near San Diego to Route 805 via Switzer Canyon, was deleted per AB 3132, Chapter 1220. This was part of a road system first proposed in 1926. It would have started at I-5 near downtown San Diego, run northeast to connect with I-805 near the I-8 junction, crossing several canyons, residential areas, and the Balboa Park Municipal Golf Course. A remnant of what was to be a freeway-to-freeway connection exists at the I-5 and Pershing Drive/B Street interchange.
The 1964-1994 routing of Route 171 was LRN 284, defined in 1959. It was never signed.
Route 171 was not defined as part of the initial state signage of routes in 1934. It is unclear what (if any) route was signed as Route 171 between 1934 and 1964.
This would have been the Switzer Canyon Freeway.
Originally to have been freeway; later deleted from SHC 253.1.
In 1933, Chapter 767 defined the route from "[LRN 60] near Huntington Beach to Whittier" as part of the state highway system. In 1935, this was added to the highway code as LRN 171, with the routing:
This route ran from Route 1 near Huntington Beach to Route 39 near Buena Park. Between Route 1 and the US 101 junction, this was Route 39. Between Lincoln Ave and US 101, this was US 91; it ran along Huntington Beach Blvd; Stanton Ave; and Grand Ave.
In 1984, Chapter 409 corrected the terminus: “… to Route 36 near Morgan Summit. ”
The 12-mile loop of Route 172 was the original LRN 29, the primary route east of Red Bluff to Susanville and then on to Reno, NV, and, before about 1934, was signed as Route 36. That section, between Mineral and Morgan Summit, was routed through a narrow valley -- one that just happened to feature numerous lodges and spas built to take advantages of the numerous hot springs in that volcanic area. It zig-zagged back and forth across the valley, serving the various facilities -- but because of the constricted space in the valley, the roadway was never more than 18 feet wide -- and was never striped for 2 lanes. In 1934 the route was bypassed by LRN 86, which was laid out in a large S-curve from Mineral (the present west junction of Route 36 & Route 172) to LRN 83 (Route 89) south of the southern entrance to Lassen Park; while not much of a saving in total mileage, it was a more modern 2-lane facility that not only allowed faster speeds but also cut about 13 miles off the distance between Red Bluff and Lassen Park. Route 36 was rerouted over LRN 86 when it was completed, leaving the LRN 29 loop unsigned until the '64 renumbering, when it was signed as Route 172. As of 30 years ago, Route 172 was still one lane -- actually narrowing to about 13-14 feet in some sections. Route 172 is a unique (any one-lane state highway fits that description) short route, but one that certainly was of little use as a through facility. Decommissioning of Route 172 has been under discussion for several years now, but the plug hasn't been pulled as of yet (probably due to objections by the several property owners along the highway who want to make sure it gets plowed in winter; it's at about 5700-6000 foot altitude).
A discussion on AARoads noted that a 1935 topo shows Route 36 on current Route 172. It isn't clear what is on the alignment of CA 172 on the 1938 state highway map nor on the 1935 Tehama County Map, but the modern alignment of Route 36 for sure was already present. Route 172 is there by 1963. From the official '63 state highway map, what is now Route 172 was always part of LRN 29 (Red Bluff - Nevada along US 395) until the demise of the LRN/SSR dichotomy in '64. LRN 86, from LRN 83/Route 89 up the hill on the way to Lassen NP down to the west Route 36/Route 172 junction, was physically added to the state highway system circa 1938, although planning for that bypass (and the allocation of the LRN 86 designation), specifically to realign Route 36, preceded construction by several years. Apparently the Division of Highways wanted to get the one-lane segment, now part of CA 172 -- and the various facilities along it -- bypassed as much as its regular users did; that "loop" went unsigned from 1938 to at least 1964.
This loop was originally part of Route 36 (a 1934 original state route). It was part of LRN 29, defined in 1909. In 1964, Route 36 was assigned a direct routing between Mineral and Morgan Springs (LRN 86), and the old routing was resigned as Route 172.
Route 172 was not defined as part of the initial state signage of routes in 1934. It is unclear what (if any) route was signed as Route 172 between 1934 and 1964.
In April 2005, the CTC considered a resolution to vacate right of way in the County of Tehama, between Engineers Stations 299+00 and 341+00, consisting of highway right of way easement no longer needed for State highway purposes.
Overall statistics for Route 172:
In 1933, the route from "Los Angeles, Boyle Avenue, and 4th Street to [LRN 19] near Walnut Station" was added to the state highway system. In 1935, this route was added to the highway code as LRN 172 with the routing:
"Los Angeles, at the intersection of Boyle Avenue and Fourth Street to [LRN 19] near Walnut Station"
In 1947, Chapter 1233 changed the origin to be "[LRN 2] in Los Angeles".
In 1957, Chapter 1911 simplified the terminus to "…to [LRN 19]
This was the route from US 101 in Los Angeles to US 60 near Walnut. This was part of the freeway routing of present-day Route 60. Pre-freeway, it run from US 101 and 4th Street, E to 3rd Street, and along Pomona Blvd. Shortly after the Pomono Blvd/Potrero Grande split, it went onto the proposed freeway routing. At one time, it was suggested that it continue E on a new alignment from LRN 19 to the SBD County Line, but this was never accepted.
It was also proposed that the freeway be extended to meet up with the Beverly Hills Freeway (i.e., from the Harbor Freeway to the Hollywood Freeway). This was never accepted.
This route is as defined in 1963. Tom Feaerer notes that Route 173 is notable for being a former portion of Route 2 and having the last four miles of dirt State Highway still on the books in California.
This was part of LRN 59, defined in 1933. The route was originally signed as part of Route 2, one of the original 1934 state routes. It has also been signed as part of Route 138. Route 173 was not defined as part of the 1934 initial set of state signed routes.
Unpaved Route 173
This route is unpaved between Deep Creek and near Rock Camp Station (SBD 5.8 to SBD 12.7). However, postmiles exist along dirt portion and signage exists at Route 138, Route 18, and Route 189. According to a recent report in January 2004, the dirt portion has been reduced to only 4 miles, from SBD 7.5 to SBD 11.5 (where the Burnt Flats rubbish disposal is).
Reportedly the dirt segment of Route 173 was
heavily damaged in the 2003 Willow Fire. The Willow Fire eroded the dirt
portion of Route 173 to a degree that it was ultimately permanently closed in
2011 with two steel gates being erected at both ends.
(Source: Gribblenation Blog - California State Route 173; former California State Route 2 and the last stand of the dirt State Highway)
In March 2011, it was reported that Caltrans had closed the unpaved portion. In the past 10 years, at least one person has died "falling down the steep, unguarded mountainside," and to maintain the narrow road Caltrans has spent between $20,000 and $40,000 annually. The road was built in the late 1800s, the road has withstood storms and fires and served as an access route for hauling materials from the High Desert to build Lake Arrowhead and its dam. Lake Arrowhead Reservoir began construction in 1904 and wasn't completed until 1922. There will be two steel gates -- one at the top of the mountain near Willow Creek Jeep Trail and the other at the bottom of the mountain where the road ends just below Lake Arrowhead Road
In October 2019, the CTC approved the following allocation: $9,340,000.
08-SBd-173 18.7 PPNO 3006J. Route 173 Near Cedar Glen, at 0.1 mile south of
Hospital Road. Outcome/Output: Realign roadway, construct soil nail wall, and
replace guardrail with concrete barrier mounted on soldier pile wall. This
project will prevent continued erosion of the embankment slope and restore the
original condition of the road.
(Source: October 2019 CTC Agenda, Agenda Item 2.5b.(1) #16)
Arrowhead Lake Road; "Rock Springs" Road;
[SHC 263.1] Entire route.
Overall statistics for Route 173:
In 1933, the route from "[LRN 60] in Santa Monica to the intersection of Ninth and Indiana Streets in Los Angeles via Tenth Street" was defined as part of the highway system. In 1935, this route was added to the highway code as LRN 173 with that definition. Tenth Street was later renamed Olympic Blvd; note that Indiana Street was also a state highway for a time.
Olympic Blvd was formerly Pennsylvania Ave. in Santa Monica, connecting with the extension of Louisiana Avenue and Tenth Street in Los Angeles, with an angling connection with Ninth Street east of San Pedro Street in Los Angeles, and thence following the old Ninth Street route to the east city limits of Los Angeles at Indiana Street. At this point, it joined LRN 166, generally known as the Anaheim-Telegraph Road. It is interesting to note that the route through the 20th Century Fox film studio land was donated by the studio. Olympic Boulevard was made a State highway route by the State Legislature in 1933. Since this time the State Division of Highways has been cooperating with the city, working to eliminate the jogs and poor alignment that tended to prevent the use of the route by the public.
This route ran from Route 1 in Santa Monica to US 101 near Soto Street. This was pre-1963 Route 26, and is the present-day "Santa Monica" Freeway, I-10. It originally extended to the E as far as Route 15 (present-day I-710). It ran along Olympic Blvd to Soto, and then up Soto to LRN 2 (US 101). It also corresponded to the later I-10 routing to I-5. One map shows it continuing along Olympic. At one point, it ran along Pico between Lincoln and Beverly Drive.
This was LRN 25, defined in 1933. It was not signed before 1963.
Route 174 was not defined as part of the initial state signage of routes in 1934. It is unclear what (if any) route was signed as Route 174 between 1934 and 1964.
Maple Way/You Bet Road Improvement (03-Nev-174, PM 2.7/4.6)
In September 2016, Caltrans published an Initial Study and
Mitigated Negative Declaration regarding this project. The project proposes to
improve safety along Route 174 in Nevada County from Maple Way to You Bet Road,
post mile 2.74 to 4.63 by realigning and widening the highway and providing a
clear recovery zone. The project is located approximately 5.7 miles southeast
of Grass Valley. Caltrans notes that this 1.9 mile segment of roadway
experienced a total of 30 collisions during the three year period from April 1,
2010 to March 31, 2013, and that the observed total accident rate is almost
1.65 times higher than the statewide average for a similar type facility and
the observed fatal accident rate is 7 times higher than the statewide average
for a similar type facility. They state that the proposed project will increase
curve radii, widen shoulders, and improve the clear recovery area. This will
provide several benefits to traveler safety. First and foremost, the increased
curve radii will reduce the potential for a vehicle to lose control. The wider
shoulders will not only provide more room for pedestrians and bicycles to
travel the corridor, but they also provide room for an errant vehicle to regain
control without leaving the roadway. The removal of fixed objects such as trees
and embankments from the clear recovery area will reduce the severity of a run
off road collision. Lastly, the improved curve radii, wider shoulders, and
removal of fixed objects along with roadway will improve sight distances for
roadway users, which will allow more time to identify and react to potential
hazards along the highway. They only presented a single build alternative and a
(Source: Nevada 174 Highway Realignment, Nevada County 03-NEV-174-PM: 2.7-4.6 Initial Study with a Mitigated Negative Declaration, September 2016)
In December 2016, the CTC approved for future consideration of funding a project that will realign the roadway, widen shoulders, and add a recovery zone on Route 174 near the city of Grass Valley (03-Nev-174, PM 2.7/4.6). The project is programmed in the 2016 State Highway Operation and Protection Program. The total programmed amount is $28,456,000 for capital and support. Construction is estimated to begin in Fiscal Year 2017-18. The scope, as described for the preferred alternative, is consistent with the project scope programmed by the Commission in the 2016 State Highway Operation and Protection Program.
In May 2017, it was reported that Caltrans had
started to hold public meetings to present information for a project that
proposes to improve safety along Route 174 in Nevada County from Maple Way to
Your Bet Road. the project would include realigning curves, widening shoulders,
adding a left-turn lane at Greenhorn Access Road and improving the Clear
Recovery Zone (CRZ) on Route 174 from post mile 2.7 to post mile 4.6 in Nevada
County. This project proposed to help reduce the number and severity of
collisions within this segment of Route 174. This project is scheduled to go to
construction during the summer of 2019.
(Source: Yubanet, 5/22/2017)
In June 2017, it was reported that Caltrans has
completed initial environmental review and design processes for road
improvements along the two miles of Route 174 between Maple Way and You Bet
Road, which were revised after public input was provided at open house events
in May 2015 and June 2016, and it plans to begin the process of acquiring any
parcels or portions of parcels that will be impacted by the project this
summer. Those improvements include realigning several curves and widening
lanes— which currently range from 11 to 11.3 feet wide — to the
state standard of 12 feet wide. Caltrans also plans to widen shoulders —
which currently range from one inch to five and a half feet — to 8 feet,
and add 20 feet of "clear recovery zone" beyond the lane on each side of the
highway, which includes the eight foot shoulder and an additional 12 feet of
area clear of any trees, poles, or other obstructions. Currently, Caltrans has
identified 49 parcels that will be impacted, and will send out letters to the
owners of those properties notifying them of the impact within the next few
months. Construction is slated to begin during the summer of 2019 and be
completed by the fall of 2020.
(Source: The Union, 6/9/2017)
The following project was included in the final adopted 2018 SHOPP in March 2018: PPNO 4451. 03-Nevada-174 2.7/4.7. Route 174 Near Rollins Lake, from Maple Way to You Bet Road. Realign roadway curves. Begin Con: 7/1/2019. Total Project Cost: $28,803K.
In January 2019, there was a briefing at the CTC
meeting from the Save Highway 174
group. The briefing was not included in the CTC minutes, but according to their
website, the group "consists of affected property owners, residents and
citizens of Nevada County who support reasonable safety improvements, but are
concerned with the current design standard for the widening and realignment
project proposed by Caltrans for a 1.9 mile portion of Route 174." A briefing
on the site to the NCTC in September 2017 notes that the concern is over a
1.9mi segment of Route 174 from Maple Way to You Bet Road. It notes the highway
will be leveled, straightened, and widened -- doubling to a minimum width of
64', including a 20' clear recovery zone. There would be additional right of
way required approx. 120' to 150', and additional clearing to relocate
electrical wires. There would be a total acquisition of over 14 acres from 53
parcels, and removal of over 1,700 conifers, oaks, and smaller trees. Their
goals are to create a highway design standard and right-of-way width that is
significantly less in scope but still preserves safety. In July 2017, the
Nevada County Board of Supervisors wrote a letter to Caltrans, District 3
Director, requesting that Caltrans "reassess this project and its scope of
work" and to "increase public outreach for input on the project and its
design". They appear to have a large
number of concerns about the EIR, believing it should not have been a
(Source: Save Highway 174 as of 4/7/2019)
In October 2019, the CTC approved the following
SHOPP Safety allocation: 03-Nev-174 2.7/4.6 PPNO 4451 Proj ID 0314000152 EA
4F370. On Route 174 Near Rollins Lake, from Maple Way to You Bet Road.
Outcome/Output: Improve safety by realigning curves, adding a southbound left
turn lane at Greenhorn Access Road, constructing turnouts, and improving clear
recovery zone. This project will reduce the number and severity of collisions.
(Source: October 2019 CTC Agenda, Agenda Item 2.5f.(3) #3)
This route is named the "Officer Bill C. Bean Jr. Memorial Highway". Officer Bean was a Sacramento Police officer who died on February 9, 1999 in the line of duty during a traffic stop in the Del Paso Heights of North Sacramento. Named by Assembly Concurrent Resolution 68, Chapter 110, on September 14, 1999.
Bridge 17-50 on Route 20, at the Route 20/Route 174 separation in Nevada county, is named the "David E. Freestone and Harry Lee Theurkauf Memorial Bridge". It was built in 1970, and was named by Assembly Concurrent Resolution 43, Chapter 220, in 1971. Private First Class David Edward Freestone was a casualty of the Vietnam War. As a member of the Army, PFC Freestone served our country until August 27th, 1969 in Binh Duong, South Vietnam. He was 20 years old and was not married. David died from small arms fire. Specialist Five Harry Lee Theurkauf was also a casualty of the Vietnam War. As a member of the Army, SP5 Theurkauf served our country until June 5th, 1968 in Binh Duong, South Vietnam. He was 22 years old and was not married. Harry died from artillery fire.
There is a business routing through the town of Colfax. It uses Auburn St., Grass Valley St., and Main St. The routing separates from Route 174 just north of the I-80 junction and rejoins the highway north of town.
[SHC 263.7] From the Bear River to the Grass Valley city limits.
Overall statistics for Route 174:
In 1933, the routes from "[LRN 60] via Manchester Avenue to [LRN 2] near Miraflores" and "[LRN 2] near Orange County Hospital to Main Street, Santa Ana via Santa Ana Boulevard" were added to the state highway system. In 1935, these routes were added to the highway code as LRN 2:
In 1957, Chapter 36 deleted segment (b), and changed the origin of (a) to
"[LRN 60] west of Inglewood
via Manchester Avenue to
[LRN 2] near Miraflores". Segment (b) ran
from what is now the Western Medical Center, Santa Ana to Santa Ana and
Main, and appears to have been obviated by other routes in the area.
Later in 1957, Chapter 1911 clarified the terminus: "… to [LRN 2] near Santa Ana".
The routing, as of 1963, ran from Route 1 W of Inglewood to US 101 near Santa Ana. This is (former) Route 42 (which itself is former Route 10), and corresponds to the present-day I-105. It ran along Manchester Avenue and Firestone Avenue. LRN 174 also included portions of US 101 between the junction with Route 42 and the junction with surface US 101 (LRN 2).
This was actually a significant route in its day, prompting numerous articles in California Highways and Public Works.
From Route 101 at Hopland to Route 29 near Lakeport.
This segment (19 mi) was LRN 16, defined in 1909, and appears not to have been signed before 1964.
In July 2009, the CTC approved relinquishment of right of way in the county of Mendocino along Route 175 in Old Hopland at East Side Road (~ MEN 1.136), consisting of a reconstructed and relocated county road.
In March 2011, the CTC approved funding a number of projects on this route. Near Hopland from the Junction of Route 101 to 0.6 mile east of Mendocino/Lake County Line (~ MEN 0.064 to LAK 0.600), Route 175 will have 21.0 lane miles of roadway rehabilitated by overlaying with asphalt concrete to improve the ride quality, prevent further deterioration of the traveling surface, minimize costly roadway repairs, and extend the pavement service life. In Lake County, near Lakeport, from 4.9 miles east of Mendocino/Lake County Line to Route 175/Route 29 Junction; also near Kelseyville from Route 175/Route 29 Junction to Route 175/Route 29 Junction in Middletown there will be a project to rehabilitate 46.2 lane miles of roadway by overlaying with asphalt concrete to improve the ride quality, prevent further deterioration of the traveling surface, minimize costly roadway repairs, and extend the pavement service life.
In October 2018, the CTC amended the following into the 2018 SHOPP:
01-Lak-175 0.2/0.4. PPNO 3118. Project 0117000226. EA 0H460. Route 175 Near
Hopland, from 0.2 mile east to 0.4 mile east of Mendocino County line. Curve
realignment and shoulder widening. Est. cost: $5,770,000. Est. const. begin:
12/22/2021. The CTC also approved the following allocation: $510,000.
01-Lak-175 0.2/0.4. Route 175 Near Hopland, from 0.2 mile east to 0.4 mile east
of Mendocino County line. Curve realignment and shoulder widening. PPNO 3118.
Project 0117000226. EA 0H460.
(Source: October 2018 CTC Agenda Item 2.1a.(1) Item 15; Agenda Item 2,.,5b.(2a) Item 1)
From Route 29 near Kelseyville to Route 29 at Middletown.
Note: Between Lakeport and Kelseyville, the route is multiplexed with Route 29.
This segment was originally signed as part of the original 1934 definition of Route 29. It was LRN 89, defined in 1933. Route 29 presently takes a direct route over LRN 243, defined in 1959 between Lower Lake and Kelseyville.
In March 2017, the CTC amended the SHOPP to include $2,450,000 in funding on Route 175 near Middletown, from 0.2 mile east of Grouse Springs Road to 0.1 mile east of Socrates Mine Road (1-Lak-175 17.4/23.6, between Adams and Hoberg). Remove slide debris, repair drainage systems, reconstruct roadway, and conduct further geotechnical investigations of slope and roadway settlement. This was the result of damage from the Winter 2017 storms.
Kelsey Creek Bridge No. 14-0044 (LAK 19.48)
In June 2019, the CTC also approved the following
SHOPP scope amendment: 01-Lak-29 50.8 PPNO 3130 ProjID 0118000172. Route 29
Near Upper Lake, at Robinson Creek Bridge No. 14 -0030 (PM 50.82); also on
Route 175 at Kelsey Creek Bridge No. 14-0044 (PM 19.48); . Widen bridge and upgrade
bridge rails at Robinson Creek Bridge and
replace existing Kelsey Creek Bridge. Remove Morrison Creek Bridge from project
EA 0E080/PPNO 01-3098 and add to this project. The need for cultural analysis
delayed the Morrison Creek Bridge delivery schedule and it now better aligns
with this project. Further cost increases are associated with additional piles,
retaining wall, and required environmental mitigation. Updated total cost:
(Source: June 2019 CTC Minutes, Agenda Item 2.1a.(1) Scope Item 11)
Lake 175-Middletown Shoulders
In August 2017, the CTC approved for future consideration of funding 01-Lak-175, PM R25/27.5 Lak 175-Middletown Shoulders: a safety improvement project in Lake County that will widen roadway shoulders on Route 175 near the town of Middletown. The project will be funded from State Highway Operation and Protection Program (SHOPP) funds and is programmed in the 2016 SHOPP for an estimated $21.1 million Construction (capital and support) and Right of Way (capital and support). Construction is tentatively scheduled to begin in Fiscal Year 2018-19. The scope, as described for the preferred alternative, is consistent with the project scope programmed by the Commission in the 2016 SHOPP. A copy of the MND has been provided to Commission staff. The project will result in less than significant impacts to the environment after mitigation. The following resource areas may be impacted by the project: aesthetics, agriculture, biological resources, public services, recreation, and cultural resources. Avoidance and minimization measures will reduce any potential effects on the environment. These measures include, but are not limited to, access to agricultural parcels shall be maintained during construct, all disturbed areas shall be revegetated and restored, assumed cultural sites will be protected by the implementation of an Environmentally Sensitive Area Action Plan, and pre-construction roosting bat surveys shall be performed by a qualified biologist. As a result, an MND was completed for this project.
In August 2018, the CTC approved $14,044,000 in
SHOPP Safety Resolution G-03-10 Delegated Allocations for Lake 01-Lak-175
R25.0/27.5: Route 175 Near Middletown, from 0.1 mile east of Putah Creek Bridge
to Dry Creek Bridge. Outcome/Output: Improve safety by widening shoulders,
installing rumble strips, improving roadside clear recovery zone, and extending
existing culverts. This project will reduce the number and severity of
(Source: August 2018 CTC Agenda Item 2.5f.(3) Item 2)
Route 175 was not defined as part of the initial state signage of routes in 1934. It is unclear what (if any) route was signed as Route 175 between 1934 and 1964.
Overall statistics for Route 175:
In 1933, Chapter 767 defined the route "[LRN 60] near Hermosa Beach to [LRN 43] in Santa Ana Canyon via Artesia Ave" as part of the state highway system. In 1935, this route was added to the highway code as LRN 175 with that definition.
This route ran from Route 1 near Hermosa Beach to Route 18/US 91 in Santa Ana Canyon, generally along Artesia and Orangethorpe, turning at Imperial Highway. It later became the Riverside Freeway. This is former Route 14, also known as US 91; it is present-day Route 91.
No current routing.
In 1963, Route 176 was defined as the route from "Route 101 in Santa Maria to Sisquoc."
In 1968, Chapter 282 relaxed the definition: "Route 101
near Santa Maria to Sisquoc."
In 1984, Chapter 1258 deleted Route 176.
Stowell Road and Foxen Canyon Road are the former routings of this highway. At one point, Route 176 westbound made a right turn on Philbric Road to the town of Rex, and then continued on what was now Main Street to the current south Route 166/US 101 junction.
Some more information on this route was provided on AAroads: The US 101
Santa Maria bypass was completed about a year or so prior to the Great
Renumbering of '64; as such, the routings were changed while LRN's were still
"the law of the land", so to speak. At that time, Route 166 from Route 1/LRN 56
at Guadalupe east to US 101 was part of LRN 148. When the bypass was completed
around the east side of town, LRN 148 was extended east to the bypass, signed
as Route 166, which then turned north to multiplex with US 101/LRN 2 to a point
north of town, where it turned east on Route 57 toward Maricopa. Prior to then,
LRN 148 jogged on Broadway (old US 101, now Business Route 101/Route 135) south to Stowell
Road, where it turned east. The segment from Broadway to the bypass was
relinquished when LRN 148/Route 166 continued east to the new US 101 freeway.
The segment of Stowell Road east of the US 101 freeway, and the rest of former
LRN 148 east to Sisquoc, became the new Route 176; it received signage in late
1968 (about the time that most formerly unsigned state-maintained highways in
Santa Barbara County, such as Route 135, Route 144, Route 217, Route 224, and
Route 225 were signed in the field). The route was eventually relinquished to
the county circa 1984, with signage being removed within a couple of years.
(Source: Scott Parker at AAroads, 4/7/2018)
This route was LRN 148, defined in 1933. It appears not to have been signed before 1963.
Route 176 was not defined as part of the initial state signage of routes in 1934. It is unclear what (if any) route was signed as Route 176 between 1934 and 1964.
In 1933, the route from "Buena Park-Azuza Road near La Habra to [LRN 43] in Santa Ana Canyon via Brea" was added to the state highway system. In 1935, this route was added to the highway code as LRN 176 with the routing:
This route ran from former Route 42 near Norwalk (before 1959, I-605) to LRN
43 (US 91) in Santa Ana Canyon. This is the eastern portion of Route 90, which
was formerly part of Route 42. The original routing, pre-freeway, in Yorba
Linda was a bit convoluted: Imperial Highway met Yorba Linda Blvd, and
continued E to Ohio Street, then down Ohio to Mountain View, and across
Mountain View to Orchard Dr. it then ran down Orchard Dr to Orangethorpe, when
it ran concurrent with LRN 175 (Route 14) to LRN 43 (Route 18/US 91) at
Imperial Highway. Orchard Drive has since been renamed, and slightly rerouted,
as Kellogg Drive.
(Reference: My post on AAroads, 11/18/2019)
It is now freeway near Yorba Linda.
Return to State Highway Routes