California Highways

California Highways

Routes 129 through 136

powered by FreeFind

California Highways Home Page
State Highway Routes
Numbered County Highways
State Highway Types
Interstate Types and History
Highway Numbering Conventions
State Highway Renumberings
State Highway Chronology
Maps Trails and Roads Related WWW Links Site Change Log Sources and Credits

Click here for a key to the symbols used. "LRN" refers to the Pre-1964 Legislative Route Number. "US" refers to a US Shield signed route. "I" refers to an Eisenhower Interstate signed route. "Route" usually indicates a state shield signed route, but said route may be signed as US or I. Previous Federal Aid (pre-1992) categories: Federal Aid Interstate (FAI); Federal Aid Primary (FAP); Federal Aid Urban (FAU); and Federal Aid Secondary (FAS). Current Functional Classifications (used for aid purposes): Principal Arterial (PA); Minor Arterial (MA); Collector (Col); Rural Minor Collector/Local Road (RMC/LR). Note that ISTEA repealed the previous Federal-Aid System, effective in 1992, and established the functional classification system for all public roads.


129 · 130 · 131 · 132 · 133 · 134 · 135 · 136

State Shield

State Route 129


From Route 1 near Watsonville to Route 101 in San Benito County.


Post 1964 Signage History

As deifned in 1963, this route ran from "Route 1 near Watsonville to Route 101 near the San Benito River bridge, passing near Chittenden."

In 1992, Chapter 1243 relaxed the specification of the terminus: " Route 101 in San Benito County."


Pre 1964 Signage History

This route was LRN 67.

Route 129 was not defined as part of the initial state signage of routes in 1934. It is unclear what (if any) route was signed as Route 129 between 1934 and 1964.



In December 2016, the CTC added the following project to the SHOPP: 5-SCr-129 PM 1.4 | Route 129 Near Watsonville, at Lakeview Road. Construct roundabout and improve street lighting. Allocation: $684K (R/W), $4.481MM (C), Support (PA & ED $782K / PS & E $1.341MM / RW Sup $441K / Con Sup $1.335MM / Total $3.899MM). FY 19/20. The right of way funding was adjusted in December 2017.



The route is named "Riverside Drive".

The portion of Route 129 from Blackburn Street to the junction with Route 1 at Riverside Drive in the City of Watsonville is named the "Oscar Rios Highway". It was named in honor of Oscar Rios,born in El Salvador in 1950. In 1960, Rios and his family emigrated to San Francisco, where he became a United States citizen, later moving to Watsonville in 1985. Oscar Rios became the regional organizer for La Alianza, a nonprofit agency that provides advocacy referral and citizenship processing, and was an organizer during the Watsonville cannery strikes that lasted from 1985 to 1987, the longest cannery strikes in United States history, and that were led primarily by women cannery workers. In 1989, Oscar Rios was elected to the Watsonville City Council just after the federal Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals struck down Watsonville’s discriminatory at-large election system and implemented district elections in the landmark federal voting rights case of Gomez v. City of Watsonville. When Oscar Rios became Watsonville’s mayor in 1992, he became the first mayor of any United States city of Salvadorean descent, and quickly earned a reputation as an energetic and accessible leader, and he became a founding member of the Latino Caucus of the League of California Cities. Oscar Rios worked to build a successful partnership with Watsonville’s local school district, resulting in the creation of more parks and playgrounds, and also worked with Watsonville’s business community to create hundreds of new jobs. Oscar Rios led voter registration drives through the Southwest Voter Registration Education Project and worked on numerous campaigns to get other Latinos elected to political office, and continues to organize for Latino empowerment locally and statewide. Oscar Rios served 17 years on the Watsonville City Council and is the longest serving Latino city councilmember in the history of the County of Santa Cruz, having retired from the council on December 11, 2012. As of 2014, Oscar Rios continues to be employed as a Teamster Union Business Agent for Local 890 in Salinas. Named by Assembly Concurrent Resolution 67, Resolution Chapter 141, on September 2, 2014.

The portion of Route 129 between Blackburn Street and Murphy Crossing Road, in the County of Santa Cruz, is named the "Ohlone Kallentaruk Highway". It was named in honor of the Ohlone Kallentaruk people, who have contributed over 13,000 years of cultural, economic, and environmental traditions to the history of the Pajaro Valley. The Ohlone Kallentaruk people settled in the Pajaro Valley, near the Pajaro River, and in the Watsonville wetlands and sloughs. These areas are rich in natural resources and contain an abundance of plant and sea life used for commerce and everyday life. The Ohlone Kallentaruk people have contributed to the present-day understanding of Native American culture and history and continue to work diligently to preserve the environment and teach people how to coexist with Earth. Named by Assembly Concurrent Resolution 100, Resolution Chapter 109, on September 4, 2012.


Other WWW Links


Overall statistics for Route 129:

  • Total Length (1995): 14 miles
  • Average Daily Traffic (1992): 5,200 to 19,500
  • Milage Classification: Rural: 10; Sm. Urban: 0; Urbanized: 4.
  • Previous Federal Aid Milage: FAP: 14 mi.
  • Functional Classification: Prin. Arterial: 2 mi; Minor Arterial: 10 mi; Collector: 2 mi.
  • Counties Traversed: Santa Cruz, San Benito.


Pre-1964 Legislative Route

In 1929, Chapter 767 defined the route from “[LRN 4] near Bakersfield to Fresno-General Grant National Park Road” as a state highway. In 1935, this was codified as LRN 129 in the highway code with the definition:

“[LRN 4] near Bakersfield to [LRN 41] near General Grant National Park.”

In 1963, Chapter 1698 changed the terminus from "General Grant National Park" to "General Grant Grove Section of Kings Canyon National Park", but this section was overtaken by Chapter 385 and the 1963 renumbering..

This route ran from Route 99 near Bakersfield to Route 180 near General Grant National Park (present-day Kings Canyon National Park). This was signed as Route 65. It is present-day Route 65 between Route 99 and Exeter, and as Route 245, formerly Route 69, from Exeter to Route 180.

State Shield

State Route 130


(a) From the eastern city limit of the City of San Jose near Manning Avenue to Route 33 near Patterson via the vicinity of Mount Hamilton.

(b) The relinquished former portion of Route 130 within the City of San Jose is not a state highway and is not eligible for adoption under Section 81. For the relinquished former portion of Route 130, the City of San Jose shall maintain within its jurisdiction signs directing motorists to the continuation of Route 130 and shall ensure the continuity of traffic flow on the relinquished former portion of Route 130, including any traffic signal progression.


Post 1964 Signage History

In 1963, this route was defined to run from “Route 101 near San Jose to Patterson via the vicinity of Mount Hamilton.”.

In 1988, Chapter 106 clarified the definition: "Route 101 near in San Jose to Route 33 near Patterson via the vicinity of Mount Hamilton."

It appears that one of the past supervisiors (Rodney Diridon) wanted to turn Route 130 into a freeway to link San Jose better with I-5. The freeway would have bypassed the observatory. It would start at I-5 and Del Puerto Canyon Rd, follow Del Puerto Canyon Rd to San Antonio Valley Road, and then veer off to the north towards Route 680 and Route 237 or towards the south towards Quimby Rd or towards Evergreen. This is also been proposed by Rep. Richard Pombo, R-Tracy.

In 2010, Chapter 448 (AB 1670, 9/28/10) renumbered the routing as (a) and added section (b) authorizing the relinquishment of the portion of the route within the city limits of San Jose.

In December 2011, the CTC authorized relinquishment of right of way in the city of San Jose on Route 130 from Route 101 to Millar Avenue, under terms and conditions determined to be in the best interest of the State, as stated in the relinquishment agreement scheduled to be approved by the City at their November 29, 2011 Council Meeting. Authorized by Chapter 448, Statutes of 2010, which amended Section 430 of the Streets and Highways Code.

In 2013, Chapter 525 (SB 788, 10/9/13) updated the definition of Route 130 to reflect relinquishments:

(a) From Route 101 in the eastern city limit of San Jose near Manning Avenue to Route 33 near Patterson via the vicinity of Mount Hamilton.

(b) The relinquished former portion of Route 130 within the City of San Jose is not a state highway and is not eligible for adoption under Section 81. For the relinquished former portion of Route 130, the City of San Jose shall maintain within its jurisdiction signs directing motorists to the continuation of Route 130 and shall ensure the continuity of traffic flow on the relinquished former portion of Route 130, including any traffic signal progression. Upon a determination by the commission that it is in the best interests of the state to do so, the commission may, upon terms and conditions approved by it, relinquish to the City of San Jose the portion of Route 130 within the city limits of the City of San Jose if the department and the city enter into an agreement providing for that relinquishment. The following conditions shall apply upon relinquishment:

(1) The relinquishment shall become effective on the date following the county recorder's recordation of the relinquishment resolution containing the commission's approval of the terms and conditions of the relinquishment.

(2) On and after the effective date of the relinquishment, the relinquished portion of Route 130 shall cease to be a state highway.

(3) The portion of Route 130 relinquished under this subdivision shall be ineligible for future adoption under Section 81.

(4) The City of San Jose shall ensure the continuity of traffic flow on the relinquished portion of Route 130, including any traffic signal progression.

(5) For the portion of Route 130 that is relinquished under this subdivision, the City of San Jose shall install and maintain within the jurisdiction of the city signs directing motorists to the continuation of Route 130.


Pre 1964 Signage History

This was LRN 115; and appears to have not been signed before 1963. The portion between Route 101 and Mount Hamilton was defined in 1933; the remainder was defined in 1961.

Route 130 was not defined as part of the initial state signage of routes in 1934. It is unclear what (if any) route was signed as Route 130 between 1934 and 1964.



White SR 130 Signage on San Antonio Valley Rd.Field reports indicate that signage of the route E of Mt. Hamilton is performed by the county, not the state. It also appears the route is maintained by the county between Mt. Hamilton and Patterson. This is based on physical verification, not Caltrans information. Reports indicate that Route 130 has the usual green miner's spade sign till you reach the observatory, then after that it has a white miner's spade (with green numbers) printed on a large green rectangular sign until you reach Stanislaus County (see the picture to the right taken by Carl Rogers). Between the Lick Observatory and the county line, Santa Clara County Department of Roads and Airports seems to be in charge of maintenance. All barricades along the routing mention the department. It is totally unsigned in Stanislaus County. Officially, the route is undetermined from Mt. Hamilton to Route 33 near Patterson.

According to the Traversable Routing report, the traversable routing from Mt. Hamilton to the Stanislaus County line is along San Antonio Valley Road and Del Puerto Canyon Road. This routing is substandard, and no improvements are anticipated.

Pombo's Folly

There were also some proposals to build a new parallel highway to bypass the Alamont Pass. Specifically, a proposal made by former Congressman Richard Pombo (R-Tracy) that would hvae connected Route 130 and I-5. The San Jose Mercury News published an article showing cost estimates for this in the $10 billion range, and projected tolls around $25-50 per trip. This reached the study phase, with $2 million funding in the 2005 Transportation Bill for a study of a possible new highway over the Diablo Range in California (I-680 in San Jose to I-5 in Patterson/Central Valley). Some of the problems with this routing included (a) very rugged country with mountain ranges that run perpendicular to the proposed route; (b) peaks over 4,000 feet; (c) a very rural area, with cattle ranches, a few houses, boy scout camps, state and county parks, and much wildlife (read: expensive environmental impacts); and (d) presence of the Lick Observatory, which is very sensitive to light pollution.

The East Bay Express had an interesting article on this. It noted that in 2003, Rep. Richard Pombo proposed that Route 130 be replaced with a six-lane, cars-only freeway that would start at I-5, just west of Patterson in Stanislaus County. It would then run the traditional route of Route 130, following the narrow, twisting path of Del Puerto Canyon Road and connecting with San Antonio Valley Road. It would traverse Mount Hamilton, past the Lick Observatory, before finally ending in East San Jose at I-680. Today the entire 63-mile trip takes about three hours, and contains a minimum of 365 switchbacks. This new freeway would cut through a large segment of a rugged, 150-mile-long mountain range where no natural pass exists. According to the article, the remote countryside between Silicon Valley and the Central Valley is one of the best-kept secrets in the Bay Area and provides a dizzying array of hills, mountains, and valleys, with rolling grasslands and pine-covered peaks studded with oaks and cattle ranches and teeming with wildlife: rattlesnakes, eagles, bobcats, tule elk, red- tailed hawks, and mountain lions. It is also habitat for endangered and threatened species, such as the bay checkerspot butterfly, the California red-legged frog, and, of course, the San Joaquin kit fox. It is noted that speculation about the possible new freeway drove up the value of the 205-acre ranch Pombo owns in south Tracy with his parents and brothers; this property sits right on I-580.

However, the article noted that Pombo was looking to move Route 130 farther north, closer to Tracy. The specific routing was unknown, but it was believed that the new freeway might parallel I-580, just south of the Altamont Pass, and slice through the wine country of southern Livermore and southern Pleasanton before linking up with I-680 north of Sunol. This is less rugged than the original proposed route, would not be so expensive, and would wreak far less environmental damage. It also fits with the SAFETEA-LU wording. The East Bay Express article noted that if the freeway is moved north, it would be much closer to Pombo's property, thereby adding even more value to it.

Pombo's defeat in the elections of 2006, however, killed the proposals for this road.


The SAFETEA-LU act, enacted in August 2005 as the reauthorization of TEA-21, provided the following expenditures on or near this route:

  • High Priority Project #1665: Conduct Study of Route130 Realignment Project, San Joaquin County and Santa Clara County, CA. This is the funding for the proposal to make Route 130 run between I-680 and I-5.$2,000,000.



National Trails

De Anza Auto Route This route is part of the De Anza National Historic Trail.


Other WWW Links


Overall statistics for Route 130:

  • Total Length (1995): 22 miles traversable; 47 miles unconstructed.
  • Average Daily Traffic (1992): 170 to 33,000
  • Milage Classification: Rural: 62; Sm. Urban: 1; Urbanized: 6.
  • Previous Federal Aid Milage: FAU: 4 mi.
  • Functional Classification: Prin. Arterial: 2 mi; Minor Arterial: 3 mi; Rural Minor Collector/Local Road: 17 mi.
  • Counties Traversed: Santa Clara, Stanislaus.


Pre-1964 Legislative Route

In 1933, Chapter 767 defined the route from "Orosi to Bakersfield-General Grant Park Road" as a state highway. This was codified into the highway code as LRN 130, with the definition:

“Orosi to [LRN 129]”

This is the routing from Orosi to Route 65 (present-day Route 245). It would appear to run along Avenue 416 and Road 168. This is a former segment of Route 63 that was deleted in 1965, when former Route 226 was added to Route 63. LRN 130 is now Tulare County Route J40.

State Shield

State Route 131


From Route 101 to Tiburon.


Post 1964 Signage History

This definition remains unchanged from 1963. This is via Tiburon Blvd.


Pre 1964 Signage History

This route was LRN 52, defined in 1919. It was not a signed route before 1964.

Route 131 was not defined as part of the initial state signage of routes in 1934. It is unclear what (if any) route was signed as Route 131 between 1934 and 1964.


Other WWW Links


Overall statistics for Route 131:

  • Total Length (1995): 4 miles
  • Average Daily Traffic (1992): 7,100 to 46,000
  • Milage Classification: Rural: 0; Sm. Urban: 0; Urbanized: 4.
  • Previous Federal Aid Milage: FAU: 4 mi.
  • Functional Classification: Prin. Arterial: 4 mi.
  • Counties Traversed: Marin.


Pre-1964 Legislative Route

In 1933, Chapter 767 defined the route “[LRN 4] near Kingsburg to [LRN 10] near Lemoncove” as a state highway. It was codified in 1935 in the highway code as LRN 131 with the definition:

"[LRN 4] near Kingsburg to [LRN 10] near Lemon Cove"

This is present-day Route 201 between Kingsburg and Elderwood, and Route 216 between Woodlake and Lemon Cove. The Route 245 portion between Elderwood and Woodlake was LRN 129; the LRN 130 routing in the area is unclear.

State Shield

State Route 132

  1. From Route 580 west of Vernalis to Route 99 at Modesto.

    Post 1964 Signage History

    This segment remains as defined in 1963.


    Pre 1964 Signage History

    In 1934, Route 132 was signed along the route from Jct. Route 33 at Vernalis to Mariposa, via Modesto and Coulterville. As such, this segment originally started at Route 33 (LRN 41). Its start was later moved westward to the I-580 (LRN 110) aligment. This was LRN 110, defined in 1959 (to Route 33). The portion from Route 33 to Route 99 was defined in 1933.

    According to one correspondant, back in the 1940s Route 132 consisted of 10 foot concrete squares, thus making the original 2 lane highway (after it was converted from a dirt road) some 20 feet wide. The small gap between the concrete squares had been filled in with a thick tar-like smooth asphalt and the same substance used to make a tapered shoulder about 18 inches out from the concrete to either ride of the road. In 1955, a major improvement began: A California Dept. of Highways crew, equipment and contractors started work in Modesto and slowly proceeded east. They placed a thick layer of modern hot asphalt over the entire old road and even a bit beyond the original shoulder, using road graders and road rollers to smooth everything with a proper rounded higher center so that water would drain off properly. This work progressed eastward at several hundred feet each day.



    TCRP Project #110 will construct 3.5 miles of new four-lane expressway from Route 33 to the San Joaquin county line.

    In May 2017, the CTC relinquished right of way in the county of San Joaquin along Route 132 on Bird Road and Vernalis Road (10-SJ-132 PM 2.2/2.6), consisting of collateral facilities. The County, by Resolution R-17-13 dated February 7, 2017 agreed to waive the 90-day notice requirement and accept title upon relinquishment by the State.

    In July 2017, it was reported that Caltrans is currently working on a project to improve traffic flow and safety on Route 132. The project at the intersection of Route 132 and River and Kasson roads includes adding traffic signals, expanding the intersection and improving left-hand turn lanes at this intersection. The project will replace stop signs with traffic signals and widen Route 132 at this location to four lanes, extending the 4-foot shoulders to 8 feet. It also will improve existing left-hand turn lanes on Route 132, making it more convenient for motorists on the highway to turn onto Kasson Road and River Road.
    (Source: Patterson Irrigator, 7/13/2017)

    Route 132 West Project

    The SAFETEA-LU act, enacted in August 2005 as the reauthorization of TEA-21, provided the following expenditures on or near this route:

    • High Priority Project #2296: Widen Route 132 from Route 99 west to Dakota Avenue. $14,400,000

    TCRP Project #109 plans to build four miles of new four lane expressway in Modesto from Dakota Avenue to Route 99, and to improve the Route 99 interchange in Stanislaus County [per May 2002 CTC Agenda, item 2.1b.(2), 2.1c.(5)]. The EIR was completed in September 2002. [per Sept. 2002 CTC Agenda]. According to Compass's Modesto map, a freeway alignment paralleling Kansas Avenue is proposed west of Route 99.

    The 2005 Transportation Bill included $14.4 million to widen Route 132 from Route 99 west to Dakota Avenue.

    In March 2012, the CTC approved a revision to the project limits. The new project limits are from North Dakota Avenue to Route 99. The environmental process has identified a preferred alternative with project limits on Route 132 from 0.2 mile east of Stone Avenue to 6th Street, which is 0.8 mile longer than the current project limits. The Route 99 project limits will remain unchanged. At the same time, there were funding adjustments regarding the pools of funds that were to be used.

    Route 132 ModestoIn June 2014, additional details were provided. The Route 132 West project proposes to improve two vital transportation corridors within Stanislaus County: existing Route 132 (Maze Boulevard) and Route 99. The two-lane conventional highway provides an interregional connection between I-5 near the City of Tracy to the west and Route 99 in Modesto to the east. Route 132 is the only east-west highway with access across the Tuolumne, San Joaquin, and Stanislaus rivers from Modesto. As such, Route 132 has increasingly served the San Joaquin Valley and has become a major truck route between I-5 and Route 99. The Project proposes to construct a four-lane freeway/expressway on a new alignment in Stanislaus County and in the City of Modesto from Route 99 just south of Kansas Avenue west to near Dakota Avenue. The project proposes to implement either of two build alternatives (Alternative 1 and Alternative 2) or a No-Build Alternative. Both build alternatives would construct a new four-lane freeway/expressway from Dakota Avenue on the west end of the project to east of Route 99 at the Needham Street Overcrossing Bridge on the east end of the project. The major differences between Alternative 1 and Alternative 2 would involve the construction of a southbound Route 99 Needham Street off-ramp (Alternative 1) compared to the reconstruction of a southbound Route 99 Kansas Avenue off-ramp (Alternative 2). Under a No-Build Alternative, existing Route 132 (Maze Boulevard) would remain a two-lane, conventional highway. Route 132 West improvements include providing freeway-to-freeway branch connections from and to Route 99 and a portion of the ultimate freeway corridor west of Route 99, as well as a proposed direct connection from Route 132 to Needham Street, connecting to downtown Modesto. The Needham Street connection requires a new public road connection approval by the California Transportation Commission. In addition to the primary project elements, construction of the project proposes to encapsulate approximately l60,000 cubic yards of contaminated soil near the Route 132/Route 99 interchange. The soil was generated during excavation of industrial property that was purchased to construct the Modesto bypass during the 1960s. Contaminants in the soil include barium, strontium, and lead. The contaminated soil is within three soil stockpiles that exist in Caltrans right-of- way south of Kansas Avenue and within the proposed location for the project.

    The project would consist of two construction phases: the initial construction phase and the ultimate build-out. The initial construction phase is anticipated to begin in 2016 and to be completed within 12 to 15 months. The ultimate build-out is expected to be complete by 2028. The initial construction phase would do the following:

    • Construct general purpose lanes from Dakota Avenue to Route 99
    • Construct the Route 132 and North Carpenter Road interchange (to include the eastbound Route 132 off-ramp and the westbound Route 132 on-ramp)
    • Construct the Route 132 West/Sixth Street and Route 132/Fifth Street extensions
    • Construct various other improvements
    • Encapsulate the soil stockpiles, as described in a Remedial Action Plan

    The anticipated cost of the project is $140 million to $170 million. A combination of federal, state, and local funds has been secured for the initial construction phase.
    (Source: Route 132 Project Page)

    In June 2017, the CTC was informed that the City of Modesto has an estimated savings of $11,392,000 in TCRP construction funds that the City of Modesto will be unable to utilize on TCRP Project 109 - Route 132 Expressway, Phase 1 by the June 30, 2017 deadline. It requested transfer of those savings to TCRP Project 113 - Route 46 Expressway, Segment 4A, which was approved.

    In July 2017, it was reported that Stanislaus County Board of Supervisors was expected to give its support to rebuilding the Route 99 SB off-ramp at Kansas Avenue as part of the Route 132 Expressway project, which will serve as a new, roughly 4-mile route for Route 132 from Dakota Avenue in west Modesto to Needham Street near downtown. Supervisors are being asked to recommend to the California Department of Transportation that the Kansas off-ramp be rebuilt as part of the project. The alternative is to build a southbound Route 99 off-ramp at Needham Street. But a staff report says rebuilding the Kansas off-ramp has the support of Caltrans, Modesto, the county and the Stanislaus Council of Governments, a regional transportation planning agency. Building the Needham off-ramp would entail closing the Kansas on- and off-ramps, which would harm nearby businesses; whereas rebuilding the Kansas off-ramp will not require any of the businesses to move. construction on the expressway should start in spring 2019, with its opening in late 2020. The expressway is phase one of the project to realign a portion of Route 132 and get it off Maze Boulevard. Phase two would turn the two-lane expressway into a four-lane highway at an estimated cost of $132 million. Phase one is being paid for by local, state and federal funding. Phase one suffered a recent hit when the California Transportation Commission took about $11 million in construction funding away, but local officials were able to get more than $3 million of that back. Local officials will work to get the roughly $8 million from the state or federal government. Phase one also could look to Measure L — the transportation sales tax voters approved in November — for all or part of the roughly $8 million.
    (Source: Modesto Bee, 7/17/2017)

    In August 2011, the CTC approved $1,031,000 in SHOPP funding for repairs near Modesto, from 0.5 mile west of Route 5 to 0.2 mile east of Koster Road, that will construct left turn lane at intersection to reduce the number and severity of collisions.



    [SHC 253.6] Entire portion.

  2. From Route 99 to Route 49.

    Post 1964 Signage History

    This segment remains as defined in 1963.


    Pre 1964 Signage History

    In 1934, Route 132 was signed along the route from Jct. Route 33 (later I-580) at Vernalis to Mariposa, via Modesto and Coulterville.



    The portion of Route 132 from 6th Street (approx. STA-099-14.77) to Garner Road and Claus Road (PM 19.010) in the City of Modesto in Stanislaus County is named the "Modesto Police Officer Leo Volk, Jr., and Modesto Police Sergeant Steve May Memorial Highway". It was named in memory of Modesto Police Officers Leo Volk Jr and Steve May. On the morning of May 21, 1973, Officer Leo Volk, Jr., a three-year veteran of the Modesto Police Department, began pursuing a fugitive vehicle and, during the pursuit, became victim to a serious collision that left him pinned for 40 minutes before rescue crews could reach him. Officer Volk died from his injuries at 7:30 a.m. on May 21, 1973, leaving behind his wife and toddler son. Unfortunately, this meant that Officer Volk gained the unfortunate distinction of being the first officer to die in the line of duty in the history of the Modesto Police Department. It also memorializes Sergeant Steve May. On the morning of July 29, 2002, a suspect fled from police and initiated a vehicle pursuit in which the suspect sped recklessly through a residential neighborhood, running multiple stop signs at a high rate of speed, and eventually ramming the patrol car of Sergeant Steve May. Sergeant May sustained major injuries, including a fractured skull and fractures to his face, jaw, clavicle, right forearm, and left leg. On July 23, 2009, Sergeant May died from complications resulting from the injuries he sustained in the 2002 collision, leaving behind his wife of 30 years and his two grown children, as well as his parents and sister. Named by Assembly Concurrent Resolution (ACR) 46, 8/31/2017, Res. Chapter 136, Statutes of 2017

    On March 5, 1983, United States Secret Service Special Agents Donald W. Robinson, Donald A. Bejcek, and George P. LaBarge were on official business while traveling in a vehicle from Merced, California, to Yosemite National Park. These special agents were en route to their assignment to protect the life of Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom during her official visit to Yosemite Valley. Tragically all three of these special agents perished on that date in a vehicle accident while traveling on Route 132. In 2014, the California Legislature authorized the placement of a memorial plaque on Route 132 at the site of the March 5, 1983, accident, which shall be located between highway marker 300, located west of the Jalapa Road eastbound lane, and highway marker 371 at the county line with Mariposa/Tuolumne eastbound lane. Authorized by Assembly Concurrent Resolution 98, Res. Chapter 38, 5/30/14.


    Historical Route

    The portion of this segment between the Stanislaus county line near La Grange and Route 49 has been designated as the "Historic Yosemite Highway" by Assembly Concurrent Resolution 27, Chapter 69, in 1989.

Pre 1964 Signage History

This route was signed as part of the original signage of state routes in 1934. It was LRN 110 between I-580 (also LRN 110) and Route 49 (LRN 65). The original routing continued along present-day Route 49 to Mariposa; this was LRN 65. This seems to imply that the portion between Coulterville and Mariposa was cosigned as Route 49 and Route 132.



[SHC 253.6] From Route 99 to Route 65. Added to the Freeway and Expressway system in 1959.


Interregional Route

[SHC 164.16] West of Route 99, and between Route 99 and Route 108.

Note: The segment between Route 99 and Route 108 was added by SB 532 (Chapter 189, 10/11/2009)


Other WWW Links


Overall statistics for Route 132:

  • Total Length (1995): 76 miles
  • Average Daily Traffic (1993): 1,200 to 26,000
  • Milage Classification: Rural: 68; Sm. Urban: 0; Urbanized: 8.
  • Previous Federal Aid Milage: FAP: 76 mi.
  • Functional Classification: Prin. Arterial: 29 mi; Minor Arterial: 47 mi.
  • Counties Traversed: San Joaquin, Stanislaus, Tuolumne, Mariposa.


Pre-1964 Legislative Route

In 1933, Chapter 767 defined the route "Tulare-Lindsay Road near Tulare to Orange Cove" as part of the highway system. In 1935, this was codified in the highway code as LRN 132, with the definition:

"[LRN 134] near Tulare to Orange Cove"

This definition remained unchanged until the 1963 renumbering. This was/is Route 63.

State Shield

State Route 133


From Route 1 near Laguna Beach to Route 241.


Post 1964 Signage History

As defined in 1963, Route 133 ran from "Route 1 near Laguna Beach to Route 5 near Irvine.".

In 1996, Chapter 1154 extended Route 133 to terminate at Route 241. This extension came from a transfer of a portion of former Route 231.


Pre 1964 Signage History

This route was unsigned before 1964, and was LRN 185 between Route 1 and I-5. The remainder of the current routing was not in the state highway system at that time.

Route 133 was not defined in the initial set of state signed routes in 1934.



Toll Road Transportation Corridor The portion of the route between Route 5 and Route 241 is a toll road. This route is the east leg of the Eastern Transportation corridor. It connects the Foothill Transportation Corridor (Route 241) with the Laguna (Route 133) Freeway just south of I-5.

In January 2011, the CTC relinquished right of way in the city of Irvine along Route 133 at Laguna Canyon Road, consisting of collateral facilities.

In June 2001, the CTC considered a proposal to adopt a routing for Route 133 from PM 4.1 at Route 73 to PM 8.1 0.3mi S of I-405. This was part of an eventual project to widen the 2-lane highway to 4-lanes. As part of this project, Route 133 was rerouted in July/August 2004. Caltrans launched the project in January 2003, focusing on a four-mile section between the San Joaquin Hills Toll Road (Route 73) and the San Diego Freeway (I-405). The road, built in the early 1900s, carries 29,000 cars a day. When construction was completed in 2006, the roadway was less curvy, have a new drainage system and have two lanes in each direction. The lanes opened fully in October 2006. The $32 million project on the northern half of the road involved rerouted around two lakes, which will eliminate flooding during the rainy season. It also has wider shoulders and a center median. Crews built four trail and wildlife crossings that will promote wildlife access between open-space areas east and west of the road. Utility lines are now underground, and there is a new bike lane. There are 29,000 cars that use the road each day in 2006; in 2020, that number will swell to 32,000 to 56,000 cars a day. The road was originally a stagecoach route.

In February 2013, it was reported that during a highway-widening project in California’s Laguna Canyon, scientists identified several new species of early toothed baleen whales. Paleontologist Meredith Rivin of the John D. Cooper Archaeological and Paleontological Center in Fullerton, California, presented the finds at the 2013 annual meeting of AAAS. The Laguna Canyon outcrop, excavated between 2000 and 2005, turned out to be a treasure trove containing hundreds of marine mammals that lived 17 million to 19 million years ago. It included 30 cetacean skulls as well as an abundance of other ocean dwellers such as sharks. Among those finds were four newly identified species of toothed baleen whale—a type of whale that scientists thought had gone extinct 5 million years earlier.
(Source: ScienceNow, 2/17/13)

In October 2017, the CTC approved for future consideration of funding a project, located in Orange County (12-Ora-133, PM 3.1/3.6), that proposes to extend the north and southbound acceleration lanes on Route 133 and re-align the El Toro Road westbound turn lane in the city of Laguna Beach. The project is fully funded and programmed in the 2016 SHOPP for $9,991,000. The project is estimated to begin construction in Fiscal Year 202-21. The scope, as described for the preferred alternative, is consistent with the project scope programmed by the Commission in the 2016 SHOPP.
(Source: CTC October 2017 Agenda Item 2.2c.(1))

In October 2015, the CTC approved the following SHOPP funding: 12-Ora-133 3.1/3.6 Route 133 In Laguna Beach, from 1700 feet south to 1300 feet north of El Toro Road. Extend lanes in both directions. PAED: 02/01/17 R/W: 04/30/18 RTL: 05/31/18 CCA: 09/01/20 Costs: $1,230K (R/W); $3,870K (C). Completion FY17/18. Support costs: PA & ED $1,215K; PS & E $1,820K; RW Sup $550K; Con Sup $1,306K; Total $4,891K.




Other WWW Links



The toll-free portions of this route (i.e., from Route 5 to Laguna Beach) is named the "Laguna Freeway". It was named by the State Highway Commission. The first segment of the Laguna Freeway opened in 1970.

Toll Road The toll portion of this route is called the East Leg of the Eastern Transporation Corridor.

The Laguna Canyon Road portion has been renamed the Veterans Memorial Highway. When this was done is unknown, but there is at least one sign to this effect. It was dedicated to the military veterans of Orange County, who numbered 252,000 at the time of the dedication in 1998.



[SHC 253.1] From Route 73 to Route 241. Originally, the entire route was to be freeway (Route 1 to Route 5) was to be freeway (added to the Freeway and Expressway system in 1933); this was corrected by Assembly Bill 1650, Chapter 724, on 10/10/1999.


Overall statistics for Route 133 (as of 1995, before the tollway was constructed or defined for the route):

  • Total Length (1995): 9 miles
  • Average Daily Traffic (1992): 14,500 to 36,000
  • Milage Classification: Rural: 0; Sm. Urban: 0; Urbanized: 9.
  • Previous Federal Aid Milage: FAP: 9 mi.
  • Functional Classification: Prin. Arterial: 9 mi.
  • Counties Traversed: Orange.


Pre-1964 Legislative Route

In 1933, Chapter 767 defined the route from "Visalia to Woodlake" as a state route; in 1935, it was added to the code as LRN 133 with this definition. This is present-day Route 216, and runs between Route 63 and Route 245 (former Route 65).

State Shield

State Route 134


From Route 101 near Riverside Drive easterly to Route 210 via the vicinity of Glendale.


Post 1964 Signage History

The definition of this route is unchanged from 1963.

The following freeway-to-freeway connections were never constructed:

  • WB Route 134 to SB US 101. Rationale: Construction of this connector was put "on hold" pending completion of the interchange for the Laurel Canyon Freeway (Route 170), which ended up never being constructed.

    EB Route 134 to NB I-5. Rationale: Illogical Reverse Move. The angles between the two freeways are too sharp.

In October 2015, the "Lets Go LA" blog proposed removal of the long ramps from Colorado to Route 134. Although that removal is unlikely, the blog provided a pointer to an interesting historical discussion. These ramps are leftovers from an early interim terminus of Route 134, when the state planned to run the freeway through Eagle Rock rather than the through the hills above it. In the 1950s, plans to complete Route 134 Freeway (then referred to as the Colorado Boulevard Freeway) started to take shape. At this point, the freeway portion of Route 134 already ran through Burbank and Pasadena, but it did not yet go through Glendale or Eagle Rock.

134 at Colorado

Initially, there were a few routing configurations being considered for the portion through Eagle Rock. One proposal had the freeway running south of Colorado Boulevard along Chickasaw Avenue, while the other two placed the freeway north of the boulevard, with one along Las Flores Drive and the other on Hill Drive. These routes were immediately opposed by a substantial portion of the neighborhood, including local elected officials and the Chamber of Commerce. In 1960, a group of residents formally organized the “Northeast Skyway League” to fully advocate for routing Route 134 as far north into the hills as possible. The Skyway League argued a freeway in the hills would provide a more pleasant and scenic experience.Highway engineers criticized the Skyway League’s proposal, telling the community that a route far up into the ridge of local foothills would cost $15 million more than the engineer-favored routes and that the Skyway League’s route would not provide sufficient service. Despite pushback from engineers, Assemblymember John Collier defended the Skyway League’s proposed route in the foothills. By 1960, to the delight of the North Eagle Rock Homeowner’s Association, the state highway engineers formally favored routing Route 134 along Las Flores, which was planned to have two access points for on- and off-ramps. The engineers claimed this route would provide the best service, be the cheapest to construct and afford the most benefits to the community. This route would require nearly 400 homes be removed to build the freeway. The Skyway League’s route, by comparison, would only require the removal of 12 homes and the organization insisted no on- or off-ramps were necessary in Eagle Rock because Colorado Boulevard could provide all the access people need. Additionally, the Eagle Rock Citizens Protective League preferred a route just north of Hill Drive. This route was estimated to require the removal of about 150 homes and was considered to be a compromise between the Homeowners’ Association and Skyway League. Lastly, the Eagle Rock Freeway Association opposed any freeway through Eagle Rock but would favor a route south of Colorado Boulevard if a freeway was deemed absolutely necessary. Shortly after the Freeway Association entered the discussion, the Highway Commission picked the route preferred by the Citizens Protective League. At this point, the Skyway League dropped its opposition due to fear that further discussion might lead the Highway Commission to change its decision and go with a more southernly route. The Skyway League urged Assemblymember Collier to adopt their view, which he did. However, the Freeway Association continued their fight, arguing that the mile-long freeway connector in Eagle Rock to the already-built portion of the freeway would be abandoned if a route north of Colorado Boulevard were built. Highway officials countered that the freeway stub would become an on- and off-ramp. Additionally, in 1964 plans for an on- and off-ramp at Eagle Rock Boulevard were discarded. The freeway was also built to go around Eagle Rock Park, rather than through it.
(Source: Walk Eagle Rock: Eagle Rock's Freeway Revolt, 3/23/2015; LetsGoLA: Freeway Removal at the 134, 10/13/2015)


Pre 1964 Signage History

The surface routing of Route 134 was LRN 161, defined in 1933. LRN 161 ran along Colorado Blvd. The later freeway routing was LRN 240, defined in 1957. This route was signed by 1935, but was not one of the original signed routes in 1934. Between US 101 and US 99, the route ran along Lankersheim, Riverside, and Alameda Avenue, then down San Fernando Road (cosigned with US 99) to Colorado Blvd.

An August 1941 report issued by the Regional Planning Commission of Los Angeles County entitled “A Report on the Feasibility of a Freeway Along the Channel of the Los Angeles River” proposed a four-lane roadway on each levee from Anaheim Street in Long Beach north to Sepulveda Boulevard in the San Fernando Valley; excepting between Soto Street and Dayton Street in downtown Los Angeles, where, due to a lack of right-of-way along the river, the alignment matches the future alignment of the US 101 portion of the Santa Ana Freeway. There is no mention in the report of a master plan of freeways like that issued in 1947, although the maps showed connections to the already-completed Arroyo Seco Parkway and the proposed Ramona and Rio Hondo Parkways.
(Thanks to Daniel Thomas for hunting down this information)

On 11/18/1954, the CHC adopted a 10.9 mi route for the Riverside-Ventura freeway extending from the junction with US 99, the Golden State Freeway, westerly to Sepulveda Blvd.



Although the legislative definition indicates this route ends at I-210, one correspondent (DW) has noted that there is a sign on Colorado Blvd indicating that the eastern terminus is at Arroyo Parkway and Route 110. By early 2000, this sign appeared to be gone. Further, there appear to be other portions of Colorado Street that are still signed as Route 134 (in particular, from I-5 to east of San Fernando Road). Again, by early 2000, this signage was gone.

There appear to be plans for a study to improve the I-5/Route 134 interchange (March 2001 CTC Agenda). This study should be complete in early 2001; it is District 7 TCRP Project #154. It plans to explore completing the "back moves", i.e., from Eastbound Route 134 to Northbound I-5, and from Southbound I-5 to Westbound Route 134.

In late April 2007, a project was begun to add an onramp to westbound Route 134 near the media center in Burbank in order to improve traffic flow in a heavily traveled area. The $47-million onramp will give drivers access to westbound Route 134 from Alameda Avenue, just east of Hollywood Way. Burbank transportation officials realigned the Hollywood Way off-ramp from westbound Route 134 in order to make room for the addition. The existing ramp at the northwest corner of Hollywood Way and Alameda will remain in place. This new ramp opened at the end of April 2011. The new configuration eliminated a left turn that backed up traffic during peak times for a corridor that accommodates hundreds of workers for Disney, Warner Bros., Providence St. Joseph Medical Center and NBC. Previously, motorists heading north on Alameda Avenue had to cross traffic to turn onto the Alameda on-ramp. Now, instead of turning left, motorists can continue north and turn right onto the new Hollywood Way on-ramp. The ramp curves around a power station and merges with the existing Alameda on-ramp The project also included the lengthening of freeway overcrossings on Alameda and Pass avenues, as well as Hollywood Way.

Glendale Cap Park

Glendale Cap ParkIn March 2013, it was reported that Glendale has received an initial concept presentation exploring the idea of capping Route 134 to create park space between Central and Glendale Avenue, similar to Seattle's Freeway Park, Boston's Rose Kennedy Greenway and the proposed park over US 101 in Hollywood. The funding to explore the idea came from a grant front the Southern California Association of Governments, and has been led Glendale's mobility planner Mike Nilsson in conjuction with planning and urban design consultants Melendrez.
(Source: Tropico Station Blog)

The product to cover Route 134 has continued to have momentum into 2015. The project is now called Space 134. According to their website, the Glendale "Space 134" project is a concept study for a "freeway cap park" over Route 134 from Central Avenue to Glendale Avenue. The freeway cap park would connect the community to the City's civic, cultural, and business core through public open space and pedestrian and bike friendly trails. The intial concept phase is entirely funded by the Southern California Association of Governments (SCAG) through their Compass Blueprint Grant which was awarded to the City of Glendale in 2012. The Near-Term Phase includes improvements to existing bridges, incorporation of public art and adding pedestrian lighting to roads & bridges. The Mid-Term Phase explores partially capping Route 134 in certain sections between Central Avenue and Glendale Avenue. The long-term vision for the cap imagines the potential for over 20 acres of open space, including a convention and events center, transit facilities, active sports facilities, passive open space and a potential reconfiguration of existing retail centers. They held a community workshop on the plan in October 2015.
(Source: Emory at Aaroads, Space 134)

In March 2016, it was reported that updated renderings of the Route 134 Cap Park are finally really starting to take shape. They show what the 24-acre green space could look like, and give a better idea of how the park will be laid out. Working with the firm Melendrez, Glendale officials have created a concept plan that has the park set up as a kind of link between Glendale's downtown area and its residential neighbors to the east. The segment of the park between Central Avenue and Louise would be oriented toward downtown, and would include a restaurant, a mobility hub with bike parking and rental facilities, and transit connections. From Louise east to Balboa, in the more residential areas, there would be a playground, community centers, and sports courts. There would be three event spaces, but the one in the downtown section could handle large-scale events like festivals. Much-desired walking trails will run the length of the cap park. The cap park will eventually extend for a .7-mile length of the freeway between Central and Balboa avenues, but will be built in phases, with the first phase to be built between Central Avenue and Brand Boulevard. Glendale's planning on private and public funding sources to help pay for the cap park, which it hopes to start construction on after 2020. Images and such may be found in the linked source article.
(Source: Curbed LA, 3/7/2016)

Arroyo Seco Bridge

In July 2016, the LA Times reported on a design proposal to remake the Route 134 Arroyo Seco bridge near the intersection with Route 210 in Pasadena. This proposal comes from Michael Maltzan Architecture, a Los Angeles firm best known for the One Santa Fe apartment complex in the Arts District, the Star Apartments near Skid Row and the forthcoming Sixth Street Viaduct spanning the Los Angeles River. The proposal would wrap the freeway bridge, built in 1953 and expanded in 1971, inside a sort of tunnel, what Maltzan describes as a “new infrastructural overlay” stretching nearly three-quarters of a mile. The overlay would include acoustically insulated walls capable of reducing traffic noise, which has a severe effect up and down the Arroyo and throughout this part of Pasadena, by 65%. A perforated aluminum ceiling would direct auto emissions through concrete “lungs” made of precast concrete treated with titanium dioxide, capturing 516,000 tons of carbon dioxide per year. Transparent polycarbonate panels at eye level would maintain views from the freeway bridge for drivers and passengers; according to Maltzan the plan is “a design solution that celebrates the experience of driving over the Arroyo Seco while sustainably integrating the freeway into its immediate context.” The new structure would collect rainwater, storing it in a pair of drums big enough to hold 750,000 gallons each. Some of that water would be used to maintain hanging plants on the exterior of the tunnel. The rest — as much as 5 million gallons per year — would be added to the city of Pasadena water supply. A field of photovoltaic panels along the top of the tunnel would produce about 6 million kilowatt-hours of electricity annually — enough to power 600 homes. To be approved and built, the plan would require cooperation among the city of Pasadena, Los Angeles County and Caltrans.
(Source: LA Times, 7/7/2016)

In July 2017, there was a discussion about the increasing number of suicides from the Arroyo Seco Bridge. There’s a long history of jumpers since the 1930s, with dozens of deaths during the Great Depression. And a recent surge has city officials scrambling to put up temporary barriers while deciding on permanent solutions. The latest records show six deaths in four months between March and July 2017. Work crews have installed poles that will later have mesh stretched across them to block access to 20 pedestrian alcoves on the bridge, making it harder to jump the fence. Additionally, a Pasadena City Council committee will review a staff report on possible long-term fixes, along with details on what other cities — including San Francisco — have done to thwart suicides from bridges. The proposals include full-time bridge patrols, higher fencing and netting draped under the bridge.
(Source: LA Times, 7/19/2017)


Commuter Lanes

Commuter lanes exist on this route for its entire length. The portion from the US 101/Route 170 interchange to Route 2 was opened in April 1996; the remainder in May 1996. They require two or more occupants, and are in operation 24 hours a day.



The portion of this route from Route 101 near Riverside Drive (the Route 170 junction) to Route 5 is named the "Ventura" Freeway. It was named by a Senate Concurrent Resolution in 1973.

The interchange of the US 101, Route 134, and Route 170 freeways is named the "Bruce T. Hinman Memorial Interchange." Officer Bruce T. Hinman was on routine motorcycle patrol on Route 170 at US 101 when he stopped to assist a disabled motorist. A drunk driver traveling at 60 m.p.h. along US 101 attempted to change routes by driving over a raised berm, then across the freeway and onto the dirt shoulder where he crashed into the disabled vehicle. The impact spun the disabled vehicle around, striking the motorist, who was using the freeway call box, and knocking Officer Hinman to the ground. The car came to rest with its rear wheels on top of the officer's chest, suffocating him. Officer Hinman, 34, was placed on life support but died a week later. He was a nine-year member of the CHP and was assigned to the West Valley Area office directly after graduating from the Academy. CHP Officer Bruce Hinman, an eight-year CHP veteran, was said to be the first officer in the 26-year history of the patrol's West Valley station to die in the line of duty.

The I-5/Route 134 interchange is named the "Gene Autry Memorial Interchange". Gene Autry was best known as a singing cowboy of stage and screen. He was also the original owner of the Anaheim Angels baseball team, and owned various media properties (KTLA-TV, KMPC-AM) in the Los Angeles area. The named interchange is near the Gene Autry Western Heritage Museum, opened in 1988. Named by SCR 17, Resolution Chapter 61, on July 16, 1999.

The portion between Route 5 and Route 2 is unofficially called the "Ventura Freeway". However, it is officially named the "Charles A. Lazzaretto Memorial Freeway". Charles Lazzaretto was a Glendale Police Officer who died in the line of duty at the age of 30 while attempting to apprehend a suspect wanted for the attempted murder of a Glendale citizen. Named by Assembly Concurrent Resolution 67, Chapter 97, on 9/3/1999.

Officially, the portion between Route 2 and Route 210 has no name, although it is called the "Ventura" Freeway. But then again....

On 9/11/2017, Senate Concurrent Resolution 8, Resolution Chapter 147, named the portion between Route 2 and Route 210 the "President Barack H. Obama Highway". It was named in honor of President Barack Obama, the 44th President of the United States. With a father from Kenya and a mother from Kansas, President Barack Hussein Obama was born in Hawaii on August 4, 1961. He was raised with help from his grandfather, who served under General George S. Patton in the United States Army, and his grandmother, who worked her way up from the secretarial pool to middle management at a bank. President Obama came from a middle-class upbringing in a strong family, where hard work and education were the means of getting ahead, and where the conviction that a life so blessed should be lived in service to others. President Obama obtained his early education in Jakarta, Indonesia, and Hawaii and spent two years at Occidental College in Los Angeles from 1979 to 1981, inclusive, which played a major role in determining his future. He made his first political speech there on February 18, 1981, as part of a movement to persuade the Occidental Board of Trustees to divest the college of its investments in South Africa. After working his way through college with the help of scholarships and student loans, President Obama moved to Chicago, where he worked with a group of churches to help rebuild communities devastated by the closure of local steel plants. He received a B.A. in 1983 from Columbia University in New York City and worked as a community organizer in Chicago, Illinois. He later studied law at Harvard University, where he became the first African American president of the Harvard Law Review, and received his J.D. in 1991. Upon graduation from Harvard Law School, he returned to Chicago to help lead a voter registration drive, teach constitutional law at the University of Chicago, and continue his community serviced. President Obama became a State Senator from Illinois from 1997 to 2004, inclusive, and was elected as a Democrat to the United States Senate in 2004, and served from January 3, 2005, to November 16, 2008, inclusive. He was elected the 44th President of the United States on November 4, 2008. After being reelected in 2012, President Obama completed his second and final term on January 20, 2017. President Obama and his wife, Michelle, are the proud parents of two daughters, Malia and Sasha.

The segment of the route from former Route 159 (Figueroa Blvd) (134 LA R11.458) to Orange Grove was named the "Colorado" Freeway. It acquired this name through the route's location, paralleling Colorado Blvd. It was one of the first freeway segments of Route 134 constructed (together with the Colorado Stub off of I-5), and predates determination of the remainder of the Route 134 routing.


Named Structures

Colorado St BridgeBridge 53-166, over the Arroyo Seco in Los Angeles county, is named the "Pioneer, Pasadena Memorial Bridge". It was built in 1953, and named by Assembly Concurrent Resolution 80, Chapter 182, in the same year. Pasadena Pioneers' Bridge is named for the party of settlers led by Dr. T.B. Elliot of Indianapolis, Indiana, who founded the City of Pasadena in 1874. Bids for its construction were let on March 8, 1951. The total length of the bridge is 1, 366'; the easterly approach viaduct is 215' long; the westerly viaduct is 372' long. The maximum height of the structure from the ground to the deck is 130'. Each of the two three-lane (in 1951) roadways is 40' wide. The total width of the bridge flares out from a width of 94' at the west end to 168' at the east end. Bridge construction was expected to cost $3,500,000. It replaced the original Colorado Street Bridge, built in 1913 by the City of Pasadena and Los Angeles County. Strict limitations of topography and a deep ravine within a few hundred feet of the main business section of a city of 100,000 necessitated placing ramps and curves on the deck of a structure whose size and location would ordinarily dictate the design and planning of the entire project. The immediate proximity of the 1913 structure make the selection of type and architectural design more difficult than usual. Technical design calculations are further complicated by the curvature and superelevation, excessive width, asymmetry of arch ribs and the magnitude of the structure. An extensive overview of the planning and engineering of the new freeway bridge can be found in the January-February, 1951 issue of California Highways and Public Works.

The original bridge Colorado Street Bridge was built in 1912 and 1913. When it was completed, there were about 35,000 automobiles in all of Los Angeles County; in 1949 the county's total motor vehicle registration exceeded 1,800,000. The old bridge was added to the State Highway System in 1933


Classified Landcaped Freeway

The following segments are designated as Classified Landscaped Freeway:

County Route Starting PM Ending PM
Los Angeles 134 0.07 R13.34



[SHC 253.1] Entire route. Added to the Freeway and Expressway system in 1959.




Other WWW Links


National Trails

De Anza Auto Route This route is part of the De Anza National Historic Trail.


Overall statistics for Route 134:

  • Total Length (1995): 13 miles
  • Average Daily Traffic (1992): 161,000 to 228,000
  • Milage Classification: Rural: 0; Sm. Urban: 0; Urbanized: 13.
  • Previous Federal Aid Milage: FAP: 13 mi.
  • Functional Classification: Prin. Arterial: 13 mi.
  • Counties Traversed: Los Angeles.


Pre-1964 Legislative Route

In 1933, Chapter 767 defined the route from "Corcoran to Lindsay via Tulare" as part of the state highway system. In 1935, this was codified in the highway code as LRN 134, with the definition:

"[LRN 135] at Corcoran to Lindsay via Tulare"

LRN 134 appears to have had an original terminus a quarter mile approximately west of the modern one at Pickerell Avenue in Corcoran before LRN 135 was realigned in 1953.
(Source: Sure Why Not? Blog: Route 137)

This definition remained unchanged until the 1963 renumbering. The route ran from Route 43 at Corcoran to Route 65 at Lindsay via Tulare. This is present-day Route 137. A small portion was also signed originally as Route 63; specifically, the segment from LRN 4 (US 99) east a short distance to LRN 132.
(Source: For the portion that was Route 63: Sure Why Not? Blog: Route 137)

State Shield

State Route 135

  1. From Route 101 near Los Alamos to Route 1 south of Orcutt.

  2. From Route 1 near Orcutt to Route 101 in Santa Maria.


    Constructed to freeway standards from north of Orcutt to Route 1.

    There has been an ongoing kerfluffle regarding construction of a Veterans Memorial near Orcutt on Route 135. For three years, a private citizen named Steve LeBard has led the effort to build a privately funded memorial in Orcutt, California—a tranquil small town located on the Golden State’s gorgeous Central Coast—to honor military veterans. The project has run into numerous problems. Some of these stemmed from a legal decision regarding flag displays on Caltrans properties (an artifact of post 9/11 flag displays) that prevented display of the US Flag (since resolved), as well as problems related to the display of military service seals and their logos. The emotion of the effort was raised due to the usual rhetoric. The story is this: Originally, LeBard and OTORA raised the money for the veterans’ memorial, and in 2011 he asked CalTrans for permission to build it by a park-and-ride near a highway on-ramp and off-ramp, where people enter and exit when traveling to and from nearby Vandenberg Air Force Base. Because the memorial was to be built around an American flag, CalTrans refused to grant OTORA permission to build it. Citing its interpretation of a decision issued by a 3-judge panel of the Ninth Federal Circuit Court of Appeals (and the policy that CalTrans developed in its aftermath), CalTrans declared that hanging an American flag on public land constitutes an impermissible act of “public expression.” As CalTrans explained to LeBard at the time, if it allowed an American flag to be hung, “we would be placed in a position of having to permit all forms of expression….As such, the department has determined that the state highway system is not a forum for public expression….” LeBard subsequently convinced Caltrans that the flag display was permissible, but then ran into problems with the Americans with Disabilities Act and the width of the sidewalk. He then tried to get Caltrans to sell the land to Santa Maria, but ran into problems with that. He last settled on a Transportation Art project, which is when a problem with the mottos on the seals emerged.
    (Source: Weekly Standard Blog 2/20/13, Project Blog 2/13/13, LA Times 3/4/13)

    In March 2013, the CTC vacated right of way in the city of Santa Maria along Route 135 at Santa Maria Way, consisting of superseded highway right of way no longer needed for State highway purposes.

    In August 2015, the CTC vacated right of way in the city of Santa Maria along Route 135 just north of Santa Maria Way, consisting of superseded highway right of way no longer needed for State highway purposes.

Post 1964 Signage History

As defined in 1963, Route 135 consisted of two segments: "(a) Route 101 near Los Alamos to Harriston. (b) Orcutt to Route 101 north of Santa Maria."

In 1968, Chapter 282 clarified the definition: "(a) Route 101 near Los Alamos to Route 1 near Harriston. (b) Route 1 near Orcutt to Route 101 north of Santa Maria."

In 1984, Chapter 1258 changed the terminus of (a) to "Route 1 south of Orcutt near Harriston". This reflected the work to incorporate former County Route S20 was incorporated into Route 1, and the incorporation of a portion of former Route 1 into Route 135.

In 1992, Chapter 1243 clarified the terminus of (b): "... to Route 101 north of in Santa Maria."


Pre 1964 Signage History

Both segments were originally part of LRN 2, which is also US 101. This indicates that they are a former routing of US 101 through Harriston and Orcutt, and were bypassed by a later version of LRN 2, which is the present-day US 101. LRN 2 was defined in 1909. This routings became branches in 1933.

According to Chris Sampang, Graciosa Road appears to be the old routing of Route 135 (pre-freeway) between south of Orcutt (where Route 135 has its north merge with Route 1) and the San Antonio Creek (2 miles south of the southern merge with Route 1). Bell Street (which is Route 135 through Los Alamos) curves back to the current US 101 expressway a mile northwest of Los Alamos, and may have been US 101 after it was rerouted off of the older Route 135 alignment (but before the bypass was built).

Route 135 was not defined as part of the initial state signage of routes in 1934. It is unclear what (if any) route was signed as Route 135 between 1934 and 1964.



In July 2002 and November 2002, the CTC considered rescinding the freeway adoption from PM 10.0 to PM 13.2.


Classified Landcaped Freeway

The following segments are designated as Classified Landscaped Freeway:

County Route Starting PM Ending PM
Santa Barbara 135 R10.30 R10.68




Other WWW Links


Overall statistics for Route 135:

  • Total Length (1995): 21 miles
  • Average Daily Traffic (1993): 1,200 to 33,000
  • Milage Classification: Rural: 12; Sm. Urban: 0; Urbanized: 9.
  • Previous Federal Aid Milage: FAU: 9 mi; FAS: 12 mi.
  • Functional Classification: Prin. Arterial: 9 mi; Collector: 12 mi.
  • Counties Traversed: Santa Barbara.


Pre-1964 Legislative Route

In 1933, Chapter 767 defined the route from "Hanford via Corcoran and Earlimart to Bakersfield-General Grant Park Road near Ducor" as a state highway. In 1935, this was added to the highway code as LRN 135, with the definition:

"[LRN 10] at Hanford via Corcoran and Earlimart to [LRN 129] near Ducor"

In 1951, Chapter 1562 rewrote the description to "[LRN 10] at near Hanford, thence southerly in the vicinity of via Corcoran and Earlimart to [LRN 129] near Ducor"

In 1953, Chapter 1617 changed the terminus and routing of the route to be "[LRN 10] near Hanford, thence southerly in the vicinity of Corcoran and via Sun Rise City to the junction of [LRN 33] and [LRN 139] near Wasco Earlimart to [LRN 129] near Ducor". This had the side effect of deleting the routing on Avenue 56 to Route 65 near Ducor.

In 1959, Chapter 1062 rewrote the definition again, turning the exisitng segment around and adding a second segment:

  1. The junction of [LRN 33] and [LRN 139] near Wasco to [LRN 10] near Hanford
  2. The Kings County Line north of Hanford to [LRN 4] near Selma

Max R put together the following explanation of the routing: The original alignment of LRN 135 from Route 65 in Ducor to Route 198 in Hanford was as follows:

  1. West on Avenue 56/County Route J22 past Rolute 99 (what was US 99) to modern Route 43/Cental Valley Highway.
  2. Northwest on Route 43 to Santa Fe Avenue in Corcoran.
  3. Northwest on Santa Fe Avenue in Corcoran to Whitley Avenue (part of this road no longer exists).
  4. West on Whitley Avenue out of Corcoran to 10th Avenue.
  5. North on 10th Avenue as it dogs slightly west to become 10½th Avenue up to Kansas Avenue.
  6. East on Kansas Avenue passing the town site of Guernsey to 10th Avenue.
  7. North on 10th Avenue to Lacey Blvd which would have been Route 198.

In 1953, LRN 135 was realigned on a bypass around Corocan following the modern alignment of Route 43 north to meet Route 198 at Lacey Blvd via 7th Avenue. By 1954 the segment of LRN 135 on 56 Avenue was deleted and the highway was routed along the modern alignment south to US 466/LRN 139 in Wasco which created a continously maintained north/south highway south to US 399. LRN 135 appears to have existed as a gap highway with a new segment south from US 99 in Selma to the Kings County line shown in 1960. LRN 135 was eventually extended on a bypass of Hanford to north to US 99 in Selma by 1962 via the alignment of modern Route 43. Both LRN 135 and LRN 139 appear as part of Route 43 on the 1963 state highway map and the alignment has largely been the same ever since.
(Source: Max R on AARoads, March 2017)

This routing is present-day Route 43 between the Route 43/Route 46 junction and Route 99.

State Shield

State Route 136


From Route 395 near Lone Pine to Route 190 via Keeler.


Post 1964 Signage History

This routing remains as defined in 1963.


Pre 1964 Signage History

This was LRN 127, defined in 1933, and appears to have been unsigned before 1964.

Max R explored the history of this route in a discussion chain in AARoads in July 2017: Route 136 largely came to be due to the location at the short of what was once a 100 square mile and very much wet Owens Lake. Owens Lake is fed by the Owens River and was thought to be as large as 200 square miles about 11,000 to 12,000 years ago. The water level of Owens Lake was typically anywhere from 25 to 50 feet in depth and was last full before the Los Angeles Aqueduct project started to divert water in 1913. The lone inhabited location on Route 136 is a CDP known as Keller that essentially is a ghost town. Keeler was founded originally as "Hawley" in 1872 when the pier for the Cerro Gordo Mines at Swansea a couple miles north was lifted out of Owens Lake by the Lone Pine Earthquake. At some point, the town name was changed to Keeler.The Carson and Colorado Narrow Gauge Railroad reached it by 1883. Keeler remained the southern terminus of the Carson and Colorado until it was shuttered in 1960. Apparently the tracks were removed later but the former rail depot has remained standing in Keeler as a derelict ever since. There is a really nice Carson and Colorado museum at the Laws Depot north of Bishop just off of US 6. Route 136 is pretty sound and pretty much the quick shot out of Lone Pine for anyone heading to Death Valley National Park. It is very smooth, very straight, and very fast with a 65 MPH speed limit the entirety of the 18 miles of the route. Route 136 was applied over the previous unsigned LRN 127 when the state highways were renumbered in 1964. The route of LRN 127 appears to have cut south along the Owens River and followed closer to the shoreline of Owens Lake to Keeler. The modern bypass and most of Route 136 north of Keeler appears to be on the former right-of-way of the Carson and Colorado Line east of the Owens River. LRN 127 adopted the modern routing of Route 136 in 1955.

Route 136 was not defined as part of the initial state signage of routes in 1934. It is unclear what (if any) route was signed as Route 136 between 1934 and 1964.



[SHC 253.1] Entire route. Added to the Freeway and Expressway system in 1959.


Other WWW Links


Overall statistics for Route 136:

  • Total Length (1995): 18 miles
  • Average Daily Traffic (1992): 200 to 500
  • Milage Classification: Rural: 18; Sm. Urban: 0; Urbanized: 0.
  • Previous Federal Aid Milage: FAP: 18 mi.
  • Functional Classification: Minor Arterial: 18 mi.
  • Counties Traversed: Inyo.


Pre-1964 Legislative Route

In 1933, Chapter 767 added the route from "[LRN 4] near Delano to Bakersfield-General Grant Park Road" to the highway system. In 1935, this was added to the highway code as LRN 136, with the definition:

"[LRN 4] near Delano to [LRN 129]"

This definition remained unchanged until the 1963 renumbering. It ran from Route 99 to Route 66, and appears to be the portion of Route 155 between Route 99 and Route 65 (this was Route 211 between 1963 and 1965).

Back Arrow
Highways 121-128
State Highway Routes
Return to State Highway Routes
Forward Arrow
Highways 137-144
© 1996-2012 Daniel P. Faigin.
Maintained by: Daniel P. Faigin <>.