With all the Anniversary stuff yesterday, I never got around to posting the Saturday News Chum Stew. So here are some tasty tidbits for your weekend enjoyment (some were shared previously on FB during the week):
- This Song’s For You. Here’s a really neat video — watch Elton John sing “Your Song” over the course of 43 years. One of the best editing jobs I’ve seen.
- The Co-Dependency Dance. I’m a big lover of Shel Silverstein. Most people know him from his children’s poems, but the man had a wonderfully warped and twisted mind. Somehow, I think he’d appreciate this “preview” for “The Giving Tree” as a horror movie. It’s an interesting take on the subject, as many do think of that book as a horror, celebrating co-dependency.
- There’s a Drug For That. Ever wonder how drugs get named? This article explores the whole game of naming prescription medicine.
- One Direction. I have a cousin that is obsessed with One Direction (the band, not a particular driving practice). I see this as the typical tween obsession with boy-crafted bands that has gone on for decades, across the generations, with different bands (Davey Jones and David Cassidy – yes, I’m looking at you). Of course, (a) the tween never sees the depth of the obsession at the time; and (b) occasionally, the music stands the test of time. So two One Direction things caught my eye this week and made me chuckle: the first was a report on one sister that pranked her sibling, a One Direction fan. The other was a collection of photos of dad’s at a One Direction concert. Both are things that make me glad my daughter’s obsession has moved on to Elton John and Dolly Parton.
- And Lastly… This was was just too adorable: pictures of babies tasting a lemon for the first time.