Well, the cable modem installation is complete. We had to reset the router (couldn’t remember the &*#@ password), but that solved the router problems and I’ve changed the password to something I can remember). The connection seems faster than the DSL, although the CNET speed test actually shows it as a bit slower. Could just be network congestion.
ETA: An earlier test showed it slower. But it was clearly network congestion. Whereas the DSL line was ~1Mbps, the test just showed the cable modem at ~10Mbps, and I’ve seen it up to ~16Mbps.
The only thing that is odd is that I wasn’t given a TWC/Roadrunner login and password. No mind, as I went to their site and figured it out, and have already set my mail to be forwarded. I’m guessing I’ll eventually be sent some sort of welcome package. The modem itself looks pretty idiot-proof.
So we’ll see how this goes. The good thing is that now we have three independent systems: if the phone goes out, we still have Internet. Once we’ve gotten all the email off of Earthlink, I’ll call them and cancel it.